Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Descreasing radius inside cylinder face

Riley P

Good day everyone!

First time posting here and you may have to spell things out for me a bit as I've been away from SW for a while.

I am trying to model a cylindrical hole in a plate where the plate will be pulled by a cable. So, where the cable is pulling, I would like the face of the cylinder to be concave in the direction of pull and then blend into the flat face of the cylinder that is opposite to the cables force.

I've tried many things and can't seem to get it to work. Any help would be apprieciated.

Riley

I hope I answer this correctly, the hole is bored using an internal thread insert (I believe that is what the part is called.) Then when the tool is at the bottom of the bore it moves sideways into the cylinder wall and follows the profile of the radius as it moves along the bore.

This is almost exactly what you have shown Scott except that the circle is parallel to the top and bottom of the cylinder instead of it revolving 180 around the side of the cylinder.

Thank you very much for your help and questions everyone. Scott, how you completed that radius is awesome. This has helped a lot! I believe I may try this using a sweep cut now that I know how it's manufactured.

THANKS!!!!!

I used a sweep cut to creat the radius profile. What you are looking at is the circle that is making the cut and the small arc that is the sweep path.

On the top plane, I made the sweep arc by measuring the radius I want from the center of the cylinder. Then I trimmed the circle to the plane 1.

On Plane 1, I drew the circle making the cut the same diameter as the cylinderical hole.

I then used the sweep cut feature and selected "Keep normal constant" under Options.

2010-11-03_142941_Successful_Radius_Cut.zip

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back