Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Decimal Places in a Drawing

jusford

I need someone to dig back to version 20 and help me figure out how to change the decimal places in a drawing from 3 places to two. I thought it had something to do with the .dtl file but i'm not sure. I already have the drawing done but could easily redo if needed. Thanks in advance.

-jus

FYI:

If you want to change the decimal places shown in a note, follow the symbol with [.#] where # is the number of decimal places to show. For example:

&d4[.2]

This doens't work for all scenarios, but it is useful.

You can't make a global change on existing dimensions with a simple config.pro or drawing configuration setting. You have to change the number of decimal places for each dimension. Note: this will also change the tolerance on all the dimensions to the default setting for that number of decimal places so be sure to plot first and then check every dimension.

There are two ways to do it in drawing mode. From the detail menu you can pick Modify/Num Digits. Enter the mumber of digits you want (2), then you can use the Pick Many option and grab all the dimensions. Or you can pick Modify/Dimension. You can still pick dimensions individually or with pick many. The modify dimension dialog box lets you change the tolerance mode and tolerance values as well as number of decimal places.

Modify your drawing setup.dtl. Drawing>Advanced>Draw Setup

tol_display no (Default is no) (I do not understand this one. My setup.dtl says Yes and shown dims do not display tols)

In config.pro

linear_tol 0 1

linear_tol 1 0.5

linear_tol 2 0.25

0 1 refers to 0 decimal places, tolerance of 1

tol_display no (default is no) show dims with tols in dwg

tol_mode nominal (determines default display of tols)

Dr_Gallup is correct, once a part is created, changes to the config.pro options do not affect part/drawing. Any changes made to setup.dtl will affect the drawing.

I try make dimensions in two decimal places. Config.pro is set like Donha said and proE still show 3 decimal places for plus/minus tolerances (see picture below).

I guess reason for wrong apperiance is value next by X.XX.

View attachment 703

Do you guys know where could be a problem?

Thank you

Helo Donha and Dr_gallup.

I am in the process of creating new template. I am aware of how to show the unspecified tols for 1 and more decimal places.. as shown below.

&linear_tol_0_0 for 1 decimal place.

&linear_tol_0_00 for 2 decimal places. and so on...

I also tried to insert the config setting linear_tol 0.1 as suggested by Donha.

i am looking for a method of showing X.

i have the same problem

i'm trying to show the decimal place for my dimensions in the drawing to be 2 decimal places and changing all the config. but to no avail. just when i'm aboutto give up, i came across this http://www.eng-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=186084and change the lead_trail_zeros(file,drawing option)to both and it finally works! i'm using wf5.

ps - just to leave a note here , in case i lost my config set-up and can look it up here again.

I need someone to dig back to version 20 and help me figure out how to change the decimal places in a drawing from 3 places to two. I thought it had something to do with the .dtl file but i'm not sure. I already have the drawing done but could easily redo if needed. Thanks in advance.
-jus

Guys, is it possible to keep 3 decimal places in modeling (default_dec_places) and 2 decimal places in drawing?

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back