Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Datum symbols on a diameter

mekaneck

Ihave a drawing that shows a diameter dimension. Whenever I place a datum ontotheGTOL that is attached to the dimension, it shows up like the picture on the right, where the leader line goes right through the datum flag. Someone else before me had placed dimensions on the drawing, and they got them to show up like the picture on the left, where the datum flag is offset.

Any ideas how to move the datum flag to one side of a GTOL? On some dimensions I can get lucky by setting the text alignment to the left or right, depending on the length of both that GTOL and the dimension, but that's not what was done below. Also, I could show the datum flag on the witness line by changing my gtol settings toSTD_ISO, but I don't want to do that either. Clearly, there is another way to get around this (I have proof!). How do I do it??

I would take a look at the dimension & gtol settings in the drawing .dtl. I would save the .dtl settings to a text file from each drawing & compare line by line.

It can't be the .dtl settings, because I can't get the datums to show up like that in that same drawing. (If I re-create them or create a new dimension w/ a gtol and datum, it won't show up like that.)

The only setting it could possibly be would be a config.pro setting that the person who initially created the drawing had set different than what I have set. But I've looked through all the options and couldn't find anything that seems like it would work.

The other thing I'm thinking was that maybe this was made in a previous version of Pro/E, and now PTC removed the functionality (This is a WF2.0 drawing/model, by the way)

thank you for the part and drawing.

we changed the drawing option 'gtol_datums' to 'std_asme' and got the result

at first the datum triangle will sit on the center of gtol by default (like your right hand picture in first post), just drag it to one end.

smiley2.gif

well, I've heard that before, and I just didn't believe it. It doesn't work when I do that on the Pro/E I use at work. But since this is the second time someone has said this, I gave these files to a friend try this on his personal copy of WF2.0, and I actually saw it work. But now that I know how to do it, and I know it can be done, I still can't get this to work on my WF2.0 at work!!!

I'm going to compare config.pro settings to see if I can come up with anything. This is really starting to frustrate me!

Can anyone with WF2 please check to see if this works, and let me know which datecode you are using? I have M240, and I can't get this to work.

Thanks!

I'm using WF2 M280. They show up off the center line when I open the file. I can not move the datums horizontally even though Pro/E is showing a horizontal move arrow. If I pick the datum, RMB properties & change to free then back to dimension and pick the original dimension it locks to the center & I can not move it horizontally even though Pro/E shows a horizontal move arrow. I get the same thing with M220.

I tried WF4 M040 and can drag the datums all over the place.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back