Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Datum point array editing

400Magnum

Hi all,

I have been trying to edit a datum point array in Pro/E and I have been running into a few problems.

First of all, there are about 200+ lines of datum points, each line consisting of an x and y coordinate. There is a datum point table that already exists for this model. The intent was to simply replace the existing datum points with the new datum points. In the past it's always been a simple matter of cut and paste. However, now there seems to be a limit to the number of points that can be put into the table at one time, and from that point on, you can only add a line at a time for a few numbers, and from that point on, you have to enter the datum point coordinates one entry at a time.

The limit for the initial placement of datum points seems to be right around 80 lines. Then you can go another 5 or 10 lines putting in one line at a time. After that, it's one coordinate at a time, and when you have to add another 100+ entries of datum point coordinates, it takes a long time, not to mention is pretty monotonous.

These are the steps I take. I pick the datum point array, select Redefine, and then Done on the first window, and then Edit Points at the second window, the PNT ARR TBL. The editor window opens with the existing datum points displayed. The new datum points are already created in an Excel spreadsheet and then selected and copied in the spreadsheet. Back in the editor, the cursor is located just before the existing points, I select Paste and the new points are inserted. I then select the previously used points and select Delete, and then select Save and then exit the editor.

We are using Pro/E 2001.

Is anyone else having this problem? Am I forgetting to do something or doing something wrong? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

400Magnum

i've never created points in this manner, but i have a simple idea that may help. created 4 different features. feature #1 would be 1-80, fearture #2 would be 81-160, and so on....

you could very quickly enter your data with this method.

hope this helps

Thanks for the replies!

gggggggggg, breaking the entire datum point set down into several features is exactly what I did do to make it work, I was just hoping to find a way to get all the points entered into one feature, just to keep things simpler. You're right, it was the fast way to do it.

After checking out the link provided by especial, it would seem that we must have had the Without Dims setting previously without realizing it in order to get all the points into one feature. This is probably the way to go for what I'm trying to do, as I do not need to modify individual points once they are in the model. It's always a matter of replacing the entire datum point array, not just tweaking the location of a few.

Thanks for clearing this up for me. I didn't realize that there was ever a limit for the number of points that could be entered. But now I know.

Gee, my first day on the site and I've already learned something new!!

Regards,

400Magnum

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back