Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Datum planes disappear from assembly

ROBERT21v

We are currently using WF4, but also had this problem in WF3. Our engineering group has experienced, several times, the disappearance of datum planes from existing assemblies. We have components constrained to the default datums, or created datums that stay constrained. However, the datum planes are missing from the model. They do not show in the model tree, and you can not find them if you do a search for datum planes. I have even had a problem where I have been working in an assembly, created a datum plane, constrained a component to it, then the plane disappeared. I do not recieve any errors when this happens, and the parts are fully constrained to the plane when you edit definition. We can not figure out what is going on. Any help would be appreciated.
Edited by: ROBERT21v

Are they hidden on a layer somehow? Are they just not being displayed? Goto the Settings tab in the model tree then select Tree Filters. Check to see if all the checkboxes shown below are checked. If they are and have no hidden layers, then you may need to file a problem ticket with PTC.

View attachment 4548

ROBERT21v said:
We are currently using WF4, but also had this problem in WF3. Our engineering group has experienced, several times, the disappearance of datum planes from existing assemblies. We have components constrained to the default datums, or created datums that stay constrained. However, the datum planes are missing from the model. They do not show in the model tree, and you can not find them if you do a search for datum planes. I have even had a problem where I have been working in an assembly, created a datum plane, constrained a component to it, then the plane disappeared. I do not recieve any errors when this happens, and the parts are fully constrained to the plane when you edit definition. We can not figure out what is going on. Any help would be appreciated.

I'd report this to PTC.

jstangelo's reply would account for the datum planes not being shown in the model tree... but they should still be locatable using the search tool. What you're describing sounds like a bug.

Question: where did these existing assemblies come from? I know I have worked with Solidworks and saved parts as Pro/E models, only to have Pro/E do strange things with them. Seems Solidworks reverse-engineering of the Pro/E format is incomplete.

The existing assemblies were created in Pro-E. I know it is not the layers or model tree item display. The datums appear as though they are no longer existing. The wierd part is that the components assembled to the planes, stay constrained, and show the constraint to the plane in the dialogue.

In our setup when I create a datum in an assembly it goes to layer "all planes". I have to go to the "all planes " layer and cut and paste it to the "def_asm_pln" layer to get the datum plane top show up in the assembly....either that or turn on all planes and try to see it through the jumble of planes.

View attachment 4558The datums planes are not grouped, and I know it is not a layer problem. Believe me, if it was that easy to fix, I would have figured it out. I think I found the problem: it is a known bug for WF4 M140, and the only way to fix it is to upgrade to WF4 M150 or higher. On the PTC website I found SPR 1957725 that was this issue. It has the fix date codes for the program. I just have to determine if we can do the upgrade. I am not sure it is compatible with Pro-Intralink. I think WF4 M150 will only work with Windchill. Thanks for the ideas on this issue.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back