Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Curvature continuous surfaces in style?

Sam, View attachment 682

Pro Doesn't really like triangular surfaces, it can do them but not very well...

My advice is to split the surface creation up..

Create the first surface, then the second, ensurign the 2 bottom curves (in pink)are surface tangent to the first surface, this should ensure continuity accross your boundry.

Then create the two "curves on surfaces" shown in dotted red, and use these to trim the surface, leaving you with a 4 sided surcafce to create to complete the model.

take alook here for a few more screen shots..

[url]http://www.mcadcentral.com/proe/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=26 247[/url]

hope this helps,

James
Edited by: james.lynch

Thanks to both of you for the replies, I've managed to get the surface
to work using the curve-on-surface method. Not sure what is going
on with the triangular surfaces, but I don't get paid for worrying
about things like that.

Slight change of subject, but I've been struggling trying to get style
curves to reference datum planes normal to the sketch plane. Is it me
being stupid, or do I have to create datum axis, datum point or surface
feature to reference instead?

Cheers,

Sam

Sam,

I'm having the same problem with datum planes, I don't usually have to referance datum planes though (unless it's the mirror plane, but that usually has a sketch on it anyway so I just referance that..)

anyway I'd be interested in knowing if you are in fact able to referance planes in ISDX or was it intentional in leaving it out?

James

I'm having a similar sort of problem again. If I use a trimmed curve on surface, Pro/E slows down to a crawl as I am trying to manipulate the trimming COS. Creating a three-sided surface gives me the same "Leader surface has a singular point near boundary curve of follower surface." error.

The best method seems to be to create the curves in style then create a boundary blend as a separate feature. This only needs the two boundary curves and any internal curves I need. Unfortunately I can't manipulate the surface in real-time by adjusting the curves but it works and seems to give me the best quality surface. The style module seems quite powerful but always seems to let me down and cause more frustration. I have this sort of thing to do quite frequently so any suggestions would be appreciated.

I'm running Wildfire 4 on a Core 2 Duo, the graphics card is a Quadro 1600M and there is 4GB of RAM (or at least there would be if I was running a 64-bit system), so it should run alright.

Cheers,

Sam

Edited by: SW

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back