Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Creating solid parts from datum sketch

steven126

I am trying to create a solid part with an exact outer profile (i.e. a gear). I have followed several turorials to create a datum sketch by equation. Lets say my equations are:

x = 4 * cos ( t * 360 )
y = 4 * sin ( t * 360 )
z = 0
So now I have a circle which I would like to extrude. How do I convert this circle datum sketch into a solid disk?

TIA

Hi Steven,

In the Extrude Solid feature command, select "Use Edge to create an entity" option and select the datum curve. This way you can drive the shape of the extruded object with the datum curve drawn using curves.

Anand

Anand,

I am running Wildfire 3. I went to the extrude feature command and could not find the "Use edge to create entitiy" option. Where is the command located?

Thanks,

Steven

Hi Steven,

Please have a look at the snap shot of the sketcher screen within Extrude feature command.

Please make sure that the datum curve or some othermodel featureexists prior to starting this extrude feature. If this extrude feature happens to be your first feature, you may not see this icon in the sketcher highlighted at all.

One more method of using the datum curve for creating the extrude feature:

Select the datum curve feature in the model tree

While its still selected, start the extrude command. The datum curve is automatically taken as the internal sketch for extrusion. I have WF 4.0 M050 and this method works very well for me.

Regards,

Anand

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back