Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Creating New formats??

chill2001

I am about to create new formats for my company. I would like to know the good and the bad of making these.

what are you experinces with what truely works and what does not!

Make sure that you have a good idea of what parameters might be included in the tables on the format. IE., part number, description, drawn by and so on. This makes filling out the sheet before doing the drawing.

Steve C

Here is a new problem that i am having the, if i click on the tables in the format they move, after place the format into a drw. this totally screw up the drw

When you add a format to a drawing, two things happen:

1) All entities (except tables) are overlaid on the drawing. These entities remain part of the format and are not selectable in the drawing. Changes made to these entities in the format will automatically flow through to the drawing. Also, notes can not be parametric (i.e. &partnumber would show up as '&partnumber').

2) Tables are copied to the drawing. The tables then become part of the drawing (not the format) and can be selected, edited and moved on the drawing. Changes made to the tables in the format will NOT flow through to the drawing (you must re-apply the format). Notes entered into tables can be parametric (i.e. &partnumber would show up as 'ABC123').

-Brian Adkins

If I undersand correctly there is no way to make the title block table unselectable.

I want to have all the info filled in by parameters and and the table fixed in position, so if a user happens to click on the table they don't move it.

Gurus,

I've updated our standard formats to include a new table and have checked
them into CS.

When I check out an existing drawing it nows checks out the latest rev/version
of this revised format. So far, so good.

However, when I open it up in a Pro, the non-changed, previous rev/version of
the format comes up on the drawing.

I was expecting to see the new format, of course, This drawing, it's
model and the format were the only items that were checked out to this new WS.

What am I not understanding or doing wrong?

Nevermind...I just read Brians post above - duh!

Edited by: Hacks

There is also a pretty good tutorial on making formats in Roger Toogood's basic proe training manual. SDC publications, isbn #1-58503-029-5.

Hello Chill2001,
What you are going to do is standardization for the company. PLAN BEFORE YOU START.
There are two things one should remember.

1. <LI =Msonormal style="MARGIN: 0mm 0mm 0pt; mso-list: l1 level1 lfo1; tab-stops: list 36.0pt">There are some information which remains constant (system driven)</LI>
    <LI =Msonormal style="MARGIN: 0mm 0mm 0pt; mso-list: l1 level1 lfo1; tab-stops: list 36.0pt">some that vary with every drawing (user driven).</LI>
Information that remains constant are those like the general look of the format, sheet number (parametric), general tolerance standard etc

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back