Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Creating Bone model in ProE

i used the boundary blend to get the overall outline of the bone.. but how can i take that and make it into a solid?

You need to be sure that the quilt is closed meaning all edges should be dark purple. I havent read the whole history but did you use the option 'capped ends' in the boundary blend or did you close of the start and end with surfaces? (to make the quilt closed).

When it is closed select the quilt and click the solidfy button.

View attachment 2432

Nick

dojo said:
You need to be sure that the quilt is closed meaning all edges should be dark purple. I havent read the whole history but did you use the option 'capped ends' in the boundary blend or did you close of the start and end with surfaces? (to make the quilt closed).

When it is closed select the quilt and click the solidfy button.

View attachment 2436

Nick

this is what i did:

1. I went into sketch mode and imported the bone drawing that I have.
2. I went into sketch mode again and imported the same drawing but deleted everything except one of the curves and made sure it was aligned properly to the original. I repeared this step for all the curves.
3. I used the boundary blend tool, when i selected all the sketches, it didn't look right so I just did it in 3 pieces, 1 for the bottom, middle and top.|
4. I went to the Edges to do Edit-> Fill, to close of the bone but I guess the planes a little mixed up and the fill was on an angle to the bone and didn't close it off.
5. I created a datum plane on the ends and used the spline tool to sketch the outline of the bone. I went into Edit->Fill and was able to close off the ends.
6. I selected quilts to do the merge and did is where I am running into problems, becaus it won't merge and I can't solidy it.

Don't use the imported data as it wil conatin very small entities and multiple entities which will give you the result that you have at the mo. GO back to the way you had it before and refine the splines so as they are not related to the imported scan data. Try and start each spline in the same area as the previous spline.

hi.. play around with your control points i your blend.. maybe add a cross curve or two.. shouid help the geometry considerably..

upload the model if you would like to see how to do it...

Cheers,

James

Hi cjm3,

For my senior project at my college I am designing an internal fracture fixation for a humeral bone however I need a model of a humerus before I can start modeling the device. Could you send the file for your bone?

Thanks!

arw19

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back