Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Creating Bone model in ProE

jcm3

I've used ProE before, but it was to build and assemble simple parts. I have to model the humerus bone (arm bone) as shown below:

shoulder_01.gif

[url]http://www.shouldersolutions.com/shoulder_images/shoulder_01 .gif[/url]

I've tried doing a cross sectional sketch of it, but when i extrude, it looks like a cube and if i round, it looks completely off. maybe i need to use the sweep tool? but i've never used that before. i dont need the bone to look perfect, but at least decent enough.

I've worked a lot with bone models. Having modelled the Tibia, fibula and the Femur. Your talking about getting into somesurfacing for these parts. You could try and model it through normal solid modelling however the results that you get probably wont give you models that would be of any use to you.

Depends what you are using them for, if its animation anf inormational then soilds would be fine, if its something else link motion studies or templating the cutting instruments against these models then you would need a certain level of deatil there.

Or if you can get hold of some MRI scan data you can use that to give you either solid "bumb" models or use the curves to help you generate some surfaces.

Its not the easiet task in the world, but you will certainily get exposure to a good deal of proe functions!!!

Have fun.

i did a sketch, did a revolve and did various cuts to it.. the good thing is that it sort of resembles a bone now.. haha

i wont go into the details of what im doing cuz its a little bit complicated but im just doing things on the computer to fill in time basically.

i actually did the best job i cud to simulate the bone and i think it turned out alright, well it may not be anotomically correct but the overall shape looks good.

anyways, my "boss" gave me like the actual files for the bone, but they are in igs format. i could import them into ProE.. but i have no clue as to how to make a solid out of it .. any help would be greatly appreciated.

You could try a variable section sweep, that could give you the main bulk of the geo that you are looking for.

YOu can then buil up some of the features. If your not too worried about accuracy.

i kinda figured i have to use sweep, however i only heard of that function... never tried it hehe.

could youupload the file and or the picture of the bone maybe you could use trace the sketch, boundary blend or even free form surface, or all the above and moreto acomplish this task. meanwhile i would like to give it a shot.
Edited by: arroyopr

arroyopr said:
could youupload the file and or the picture of the bone maybe you could use trace the sketch, boundary blend or even free form surface, or all the above and moreto acomplish this task. meanwhile i would like to give it a shot.

the igs file is large, about 5 megs ..u can pm ur email and i cud send it that way.

i want to try out that variable sweep feature, does anyone have a link to a site that gives a good basic introductory tutorial for it .. cuz all the ones ive seen are a little too advance for me..

arroyopr said:

heres the sketch, hopefully you can help me out
smiley4.gif
.. thanks2006-06-23_054602_test.sec.rar

You need to create some datum planes, perpendicular to the intramedullar canal, at the same dist apart as the curves from the imported IGS file. Then sketch an approximation,(using splines) of each igs curve on their respective datum plane.

Gis a message back when your done that.

Pat
smiley5.gif

i tried creatingdatum planes using the sketch as a reference but it wont allow me to go into sketch mode.

fqkhan said:
Have you tried a swept blend?

i havent used the sweep feature yet.. and iv been trying to look for a tutorial online but they seem too advance for me, i need an introductory tutorial to get myself use to the feature

I would either use a swept blend or a standard blend. Either one will give you the results you are looking for with decent changeability of the profile.

well you will need use blend sweep and if you are using wildfire 3.0 just go to insert select blend sweep. keep in mind that you will need a trajectory for the bone and the rest are just right click menu and add section one by one, else it will be surfaces then solidify and merge keeping the tanjency between them constant.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back