Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Creating a Lance Punch with a full round

anandel

I am trying to make a Lance punch as shown in the pic. I couldn't make a full round in the corners (pic. shown is .001 smaller than what it is supposed to be). This gives me an error (I guess) when I tried to create the lance on the part. Is that possible at all to create a full round in the edge of a triangular shaped extruded feature at all?

View attachment 123

What error message are you getting? Is it in the sheetmetal piece or this punch? And it all depends on what you're after. I tried making something similar to what you have and came up with the resolve mode when I tried to make the round the same as the height. I wonder if Pro can't handle that round. I did a triangle shape and extruded it both ways from the center plane and then drafted the side faces before I added the round, but I still couldn't get it to be the same height as the height of the triangle.

Steve C

Sometimes rounds have problems when then completely remove and adjacent surface (like your side wall). A work-around would be to copy the surfaces of the triangular protrusion (before the round) then extend the edges downward and create the fillet on the surfaces (it should be able to now, since the sides walls are longer on the surfaces). Then create a flat surface on the flat plane (at the base o fhte traingular protrusion) and merge it with your filleted surface quilt and do a cut using a quilt (solidify in WF).

They may not make any sense, but hopefully it gives you an idea for a work-around. Sometimes surfaces are more flexible that solids.

anandel,

I am not sure what you mean. This looks like a louver and is made as a UDF, or form. Place a round all along the bent edge and use it as a reference. Its radius should be .01 more than the metal thickness you use the form on. If it is less than the metal thickness then the resulting inside radius becomes negative. The cutout can be sharped edged.

jperkins

Yes, it is a louver jperkins. My problem is not about creating a round on the edge around the base, but creating it in the sides of the triangular protrusion (That's exactly what Steve has tried to do). I wanted to try the work-around rcamp suggested; But i am pretty new to Wildfire, I can't figure where those surface copy options are.('guess you are talking about ExtGeomCopy??) I'd really appreciate a helping hand.

Thanks,

Andy

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back