Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Crashes!

Erich with an H

YEAH YEAH YEAH Pro/E crashed my system 6 times in less than an hour and a half this morning! YEAH, what wunderful software this is! IT has now taken my computer, the second time in a month, and I have spent the rest of the morning downloading updates, and configuring settings on a loaner. I'm getting better at doing that than working with Pro/E. I'm just about fed up, anybody know a Seattle area firm looking for a fresh grad with SolidWorks know-how? Serioulsy this program really makes me want to change jobs...and I just got my benefits!

I'vd had it crash with other software running, and with only Pro/E running. Didn't seem to matter. The darn thing would just flash black and then the Windows startup screen comes up and everything starts over!

No hardware changes...

Seems to be with any part/drawing (although today it all happened in the same one)...

Pro/E wildfire 2.0

I'm not really looking fo a fix from anybody, unless you really know a magical solution, this problem seems to be fairly pervasive with Pro/E, and others in the department see it happen too, although not nearly with the frequency I have.

I seen talk of one build of WF2 being better... maybe someone will comment on it.

Hang in there and don't let it get to you too much

Erich,
When Pro/E crashes, it usually writes two files, std.out and std.err. You could post the contents of these files.
Usually the culprit is the graphic card. Pro/E relies an OpenGl. The Implementation is good on professional cards like NVidia Quadro or ATI Fire GL, on consumer cards more or less good.
If you have one of these professional card, you should try different driver versions. There is a hardware compatibility list at ptc http://www.ptc.com/partners/hardware/current/support/proewf3 .htm#graphics_information
The most important item is graphic card. The rest should workok.
If you search their homepage for certified drivers, you find a list of certified versions.
ReinhardN

Running ATI Fire GL, had the most recent driver downloaded from HP that supossedly addressed a crashing issue with Pro/E. Appearantly the old driver would allow Pro/E to loop the graphics render and eat up all the RAM causing system crashes (exactly like I was experiencing). But the new driver did not appear to actually solve the issue.

Since I'm now working on a loaner machine, (which I spent the day configuring and updating) I don't want to play to much with the options. I haven't crashed this box (yet) and have the same drivers and hardware installed.

Again, I don't really expect a fix, just wanted to rant about this software and its lack of performance. I have experienced crashes with other CAD software so I know it is not uncommon. They are big programs, using a lot of system resources, but I have never had crashes that result in complete system reboots. Thanks again, and I can only hope that when we install the next version here it will be better.

Pro/E WF2 and WF3 have been like a rock for me (when it comes to stability). I've only managed to crash it once in six months, and even that crash I can blame on pounding the keys in frustration. It's much better than when I was using Release 17 thru 21(?) on both Unix and Windows-based systems.

Erich,

Does the system crash when Pro E is not running? I have, in the past had a similar issue on a computer not using Pro E. The cause was a hardware issue, when the computer warmed up it would reboot. I've had more than enough Pro E crashes, but never one that caused complete system restart.

steve

No...system is TOTALLY stable when Pro/E is not running. I haven't even had a hang or other program fail to respond, except when Pro/E is open.

You would not beleive the problems I have had with windows update and Pro/E, something with windows would change the graphics drivers. Pro/e would fire up you could open parts but as soon as you actually tryed to do anything feature or sketch "poof" bye bye Pro/e........after a lot of head banging all it took was a reinstall of the graphics drivers.........now thats my first point of call if any thing starts to go wrong. True Not a system crash but maybe worth a try

I crashed Pro/E on the loaner box! It didn't take the whole system down like before, but it did go poof! No more Pro/E screen. This is just ridiculous. I can't beleive a released product can fail this often and still be billed as such a great tool/resource. Imagine if the various products we all designed had such constant flaws and critical failures. None of us would have jobs for very long, and nothing that we designed would ever be purchased by customers. How does PTC do it? How do they ensnare purchasing managers and engineering supervisors into beleiving they are the best thing out there? Why are so many users complacent with the obvious faults? Why? Why? Why?

If you are running a desktop sysstem, make sure you have the PTC-certified drivers for your particular graphics card, which are frequently not the latest. If you are running a laptop or mobile workstation, make sure the drivers are specifically certified by the laptop/mobile workstation manufacturer for use on that particular platform when running Pro/E.

Also, make sure you are NOT using any third-party mouse drivers, like Microsoft Intellipoint or Logitech Mouseware. If you have these installed, uninstall them using Add/Remove Programs: you may need the original Win XP SP2 CD to re-install the generic Windows mouse drivers.

These are both known causes of crashes and graphical weirdness in just about every CAD program. I fought the mouse driver thing (again) just a few months ago: you'd think I would know better by now.

Erich with an H said:
I'vd had it crash with other software running, and with only Pro/E running. Didn't seem to matter. The darn thing would just flash black and then the Windows startup screen comes up and everything starts over!

That sounds like an OS crash. Is your machine clean?

Erich,
sorry to tell you the obvious in my previous post.
I think you may have a hardware failure. I had one before. By using a stresstest and excluding components and by good luck I was able to identify a faulty memory bar. It may not always be that simple.
There was a Logitech driver which did not play well with Pro/E, the current one works for me.
Hope you will find that pig
ReinhardN

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back