Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Crane hook

sekar_mech02

Hi friends.,

I am trying to design a crane hook using swept blend in pro/e wf2. I am difficulty in completing that model. the model consist of a) circular section, b) section with 7 entities (elliptical cross section with taper on both sides) and c) tip of the crane (i used a point for this) But, i am not successfully design the part.

can any one help me with the crane model or tutorial to design that.

regards.,

sekar

have you sketched your section first, and then use swept blend? Have you diveded your circle into 7 enteties? do you use blend vertex? i dont think a point is thebest way to define the end of the hook.... you might want to do something diffrent there (maybe boundaryblend to close it?)

//Tobias

Hi Sekar,

I am attaching an example Crane hook model for your reference. I have taken the dimensions from a Machine Design Text book. I think it is a pretty straight forward model. Please go through the model thoroughly. Incasesomething is not clear please let me know. I will try to prepare a tutorial in some free time.

Regards,

Anand

2009-03-31_033633_crane_hook.prt.zip

Hi tobias and anand,

thanks for the repiles.

Tobias: thanks for make me to analyze the things.
smiley32.gif

Anand: Thanks a lot Anand. This is the exact model what i am looking for. I think u had got dimensions from KR.Gopalakrishna Machine design book.(this is what i also referred).

If i am right about the book name, they had given dimension for the outer and inner radii, using that alone (i.e R75 , R150, R62, R180& R 100 ) is it possible to design the hook? instead of calculating the center radius of the both radii.

I am studying that part model. I will get back to you if i had any queries.

Regards.,
Sekar

Edited by: sekar_mech02

Hi Sekar,

I have used the text book by KRG during my college days almost 17 years back. I have taken the dimensions from a Japanese Engineering Graphics Text book and in that book dimensions of outer contours are given asinspection dimensions and the dimensions of the driving curve is given as the primary dimensions (currently I am working in Japan for the last 5 months and hence I do not have access to the book by KRG). This crane hook is a standard 2 to 5 ton capacity hook. Hence, this is a more or less "universal" design.

Since, the key feature in this part is the Swept blend, I suppose there is no other method than deriving the dimensions of the driving curve from the dimensions of the outer contour. I am not sure about the possibility of using VSS feature. I request other members to clarify this point.

Regards,

Anand

Hi Anand

Thanks for the information. Since the dimensions are exactly matched the book, what I am referred for practice, I asked you about the book.

Hope we will look out is there is any reply about using the VSS for the crane hook from the members.

I had studied your model. Its quite ok. In your model, the each
section consists of 4 entities. But I am trying to create the sections with 6 entities.
But the resulting section looks somewhat like twisted. I here attached the file.
I also tried with changing start point for the second and third sections. But
still, I cannot able to solve.

Can you tell me where I made mistake?

Regards,

Sekar.

2009-04-01_003800_crane.prt.rar
Edited by: sekar_mech02

Hi Sekar,

I studied your model and "repaired" the unwanted twist in the model. You had selected the wrong start point in the third section. Here is your repaired model:

2009-04-01_021003_crane.prt.zip

I have one more observation to make: Since you are using 6 segments in the sections i.e. including the rounds in section 2, the outer contour of the crane hook is not very smooth. Compare this with my model. As a general practice, always use rounds and chamfers asseparate features.

Regards,

Anand

Hi Anand,

Thanks for your suggestion to make round as separate features. Yes I observed from your model, that the rounds are made separately. I made a mistake while analyzing the things, i have gone straight to the section, what it had mentioned in the book, without considering the round.

One more clarification: If there are so many entities in the geometry, how to define the correct starting point for the each section without making it to twist?? Is there is any guideline or things which I have to look while designing???

Regards.,

Sekar

Hi Sekar,

just make sure that the start points in all sections are positined in similar manner wrt its sketching co-ordinate systems. You have to beextra cautious while selecting X vector manually for selecting sketch orientation. The direction of arrows at start points are also have to be in the same direction.

You can also refer the book Pro-Engineer wildfire for engineers & designers (Release

Hi Anand.,

I will look those things. Thanks for your patience replies and spending time for solving my queries.

Regards.,

Sekar

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back