Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Cosmetic Thread 3d Notes

jill.daniel

Hi

If I understand correctly, there are 2 ways to create threads in pro e. 1. using the "hole" feature and chose the option to create a "standard hole" instead of the "straight hole" & 2. using the cosmetic thread feature. As for notes with these features, i noticed that pro e automatically creates a parametric note for the standard hole feature, but does not automatically create them for cosmetic threads.
1. does anyone know why this is?
2. can this be a setting that i am missing?
3. Can a parmetric note be created for this feature at all? I tried doing a workaround by copying the parametric note from one of
the "hole" types, but it doesn't pull the information from the
cosmetic information.
fyi, i know there is a 3rd way to create a thread, but it didn't pertain to my question.

Can anyone please help?
Jill

Yes, you can create a 3d note for the thread feature. The tricky part is getting the FID number correct. One way is to add this collumn to your model tree. Here is an example of a callout for an external metric thread.

M{1:&MAJOR_DIAMETER:FID_3017[.1]}x&THREADS_PER_INCH:FID_3017[.2]-&CLASS:FID_3017

Also, at least in WF2.0, there is a note created automatically that can be displayed in the drawing; however, I do not know how you can get to it at the part level as it is not in the model tree.

Hope this helps.

Thank you, I will give it a try.

"Also, at least in WF2.0, there is a note created automatically that can
be displayed in the drawing; however, I do not know how you can get to
it at the part level as it is not in the model tree." ----- I was trying to display it in the drawing and nothing shows up... that,s the reason I went to the model and was trying to create the note.

Thanks for your help, I will see if i can get it to work.
Jill :)

The way to display it in the model tree is to use the settings button & choose tree filters. This will enable you to show annotations & suppressed features/parts in the model tree.

Eric,

is it just a typo or is there something weird in your instalation of Pro/E that results in a metric thread being specified with threads per inch instead of pitch (mm per thread)

DB

Dell_Boy,

I get the same parameters (for a cosmetic thread, not a hole) regardless of whether or not it is a metric thread (units set to mm and METRIC set to YES). The format of the note changes, but the parameter names used are the same. Does something else change on your install if you switch?

Eric,

it turns out my install is exactly the same as yours but it had been more than 10 years since I last went into the thread parameters menu and I had forgotten the reasons why I continued to ignore it.

All those years ago I made the assumption that it was another bug due to to PTC's inability to come to grips with the metric system. After all, it had tpi instead of pitch and major diameter instead of minor diameter for an external thread even though I had made specific selections for an external metric thread.

I just got used to working around it by creating a pitch parameter, writing a relation linking the pitch, major and minor diameter and embedding the necessary information in the major diameter dimension. This also had the advantage of allowing pitch to be added directly to a family table.

DB

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back