Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Cosmetic Sketch not visible in Drawing

RLRick001

I need to show a specific surface texture covering 1/8" on each end of a round part. In the model, I created a round cosmetic sketch 1/8: fromeach end -- but they are not visible in the Drawing. And they only show-up in the model when I rotate the part to isometric. In the model thay are not visible in the Front view.

Can someone please tell what I have or have not done. Any help would be so greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Rick,

Perhaps create a datum curve in the model rather than a cosmetic sketch. Another approach would be to create a revolved surface.

sip

You talking just a tad-bit over my head -- I have not done either. Can you please suggest a post or tutorial that will show me how to accomplish either?

Thank you my friend.

Hi Rick,

Please post a picture of what you need. That will make it so much easier to help you.

Sip

I would very much like to, but propriatary issues will not allow. Simple round part 2" long with an O-ring groove in the middle. have to show a surface texture of 16 on both ends. The polished surface will only be about 1/8" from each end. This information will need to be projected onto the drawing. I thought the most efficient way would be to show each polished area with a cosmetic sketch. Time constraints dictated that I seek additional help on the forum.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Am using Wildfire 3.0 -- there has to be something simple that is preventing the cosmetic sketch from showing-up on the drawing.As usual, the Cosmetic threads are shown-- just not the diametric cosmetric sketches.

Thanks,

RLRick001,

have you considered using what is called an ecad area? you can add this in the same manner as a cosmetic sketch. you sketch in 3d and set a hatching as you choose. You can then call out that area in the 2d and mention it to be covered in a certain manner, such as what you described. This is not exactly as you meant, but might be a work around?

It is also possible to import a picture ( bmp, etc) and place it in the 2d that would be visible.

cheers,

M

cosmetic always would not be shown if it is hidden by Layer, or hidden by solid geometry or hiden in model tree

If Your cosmetic is inside the model which is made as solids then Pro\e want show You cosmetic until You make a X-section,

second there is always a step to display it by Show\Erase menu, but first You have to turn off the dynamic preview, set by default in this menu

Can use another part as a example . . . theOD cosmetic sketches at each end are not visible in the drawing. Have tried procedure suggeted by others -- to no avail. Ther has to be someone that knows how to make these darn things show-up in the drawing . . .

Those are not going to be visible. In end views they are hidden behind geometry and in a side view they are end on so will not show either. You can make sketched datum curves, they will show up in the drawing (sometimes even when you don't want them to).

OK dr_gallup -- thank you (and the others) for your prompt evaluation of my problem. Now then ...can you please tell me where I can view a post or a tutorial on how to createthe "datum Curve" on my model? I attempted asearch thru the posts which proved unsuccessful. I will be facing this problem again on future project -- would very much like to know how to address it.

Thanks again,

jeff4136,

May the Gods look upon you with favor. I will open this first thing tomorrow morning and try to figure out how you created it so that I might be able to duplicate the feature on my part. I assume that it can be dimensioned in the drawing.Believe it or not I'm trying to figure out how you placed text with leaders & arrows in the model?

Many thanks my friend,

Pros,

I will keep searching the"Posts" in hopes of finding more information on "datum curves" and "relolved surfaces". Indeed I have so much more to learn --but it will be an interesting journey.

again...Many Thanks,

Creating a curve (that can be seen in drawing) ... It can be a plane / solid face Intersection curve or a Sketched Datum Curve.

The multi face cylinder is simply three colinear curve segments; one line, two splines (NURBSdegree 3 equivalentsof 'lines').

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back