Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Cosmetic Degree Wheel

kumaichi

Hi,

I'm trying to create engraved marks around a radius to mark degrees. I've pretty much completed it by hand. Basically, I drew lines and setup the angles. Now I'm stuck though. I can't do the last couple of lines because the rules that are being run overlap onto another line. Has anyone done this with success?

I've attached a picture so you can see what I'm talking about.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Craig

degree_wheel.jpg

Lo,

Something like this? I'd do it with patterns so you have full control over starting/stopping angles. When it has to go 360

Nick,

That is exactly what I need, thanks so much. I can't seem to open your file though. It tells me that 'PRT0001' cannot be retrieved.

I tried to use the pattern tool but I don't think it's available when doing a cosmetic feature. Should I do it some other way?

Thanks again,

Craig
Edited by: kumaichi

Hey,

Redone in 2001, (wow I aint used to that anymore
smiley5.gif
so you should be able to open this one. Yes you can pattern cosmetic scetches. The circles creating the boundary of the scale in this model are done with curves, but they could well be cosmetic scetches.

Hope it helps,

Nick

2006-08-12_150041_scale.prt.zip

SUCCESS!!! Thanks so much for your help Nick. After I looked at your sample I had a way to go. I created a Datum and then patterned the datum seperating it 1 degree at a time. I then went and did my cosmetic grooves using the datum's to lineup my lines. Worked great :).

Thanks again for taking the time to help me out.

Craig

Yuck what horrible, slow, fatmodels.

You should avoid modelling patterns with high repeatvaluesin the manner you have done because they end up with unnecessarily high feature counts which are much slower to regenerate.

Simply by defining the patternfrom asketch created with a datum-on-the-flyinstead ofa patterned group, the feature count drops from 365 to 122 and the time taken to regenerate the 91

Yes, and if you sketch all the curves and you dont use patterns the regeneration time will be even faster .... It was not modelled for optimum construction and regeneration time but to explain a principle.

Comments and almost personal attacks like yours make you wonder why you even bother.

The first model is fully patterned and still regenerates massively faster and probably took less time to model. There was nothing special about it, I would ALWAYS model it in a similar manner.

Both models were posted to explain a principle.

How many big slow models have you inherited from other people because they didn't know any better?

DB

Take your frustration out on someone else mate, I dont appreciate it being put foreward as someone who doesnt know what he is doing as you suggest in your posts ( because they didn't know any better?, Yuck what horrible, slow, fatmodels, a little thought ). Luckely the world has supermodellers like you, enjoy your ego trip and welcome to ignore

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back