Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Copying Co-ordinates Systems

Lazar

I am having a brain fart of a day. How do you copy a co-ordinate system from one model to another.

I have done it in the past (long ago), but just can't seem to remember the procedure.

Any assistance would be most appreciated.

L

In assembly choose #modify part. Create a Csys #offset and select (by menu) the reference Csys. Cartesian with zero value on all three axes.

Huug

Hmmm, I haven't tried this yet, but it would seem to me that it would create an external reference. If this is the case, it is not desirable for my requirements.

Is there a way to create a co-ordinate system from without creating an external reference?

L

Well, you can also copy a feature with #new refs and #from different model and #independent (2001). This can include also a coordinate system.

Huug

If your original csys has parent references that are not replicated in your new model, then copy from diff model won't work (there will be no corresponding new refs to use).

If you want a c-sys without external references, your best bet is sometimes the following method:

- Make sure both models (source and target) have a common csys location somewhere (we'll call this the origin)

- Create a transform measurement in the source model from the origin csys to the csys you wish to copy. Then hit the info button and save this information to a file (probably named info.trn or something similar).

- Open the target model and create a csys Using File reference the origin csys and the file you created above.

This will result in a csys in the right location and orientation with no external references and without the need to create additional reference geometry to support it.

-Brian

Thanks to all that replied (both posting and email).

But Brian gets the prize. This is the method that I used in the past that I couldn't remember. I just had to see it again to remember the whole process.

Thanks again

L

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back