Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

copy geometry updating on part

streamm

hi,
please lookt at this situation:
1-I create an assembly in witch I create a skeleton and insert a publish geometry of this plane.
2-On the skeleton, I create an offset plane.3
3-On the assembly level, I create a new componente and copy geometry from the publish geometry on the skeleton.
4-I save the assembly, erase memory and close all.
5-I open the skeleton and change the offset value, save, erase memory and close.
6-I open the part but the copy geometry doesn't update.
is this normal???
I tryed the config option : retrieve_data_sharing_ref_parts to YES, but doesn't take effect, becasue my case is skeleton and part. If were two parts having been took reference from each other, this option will work well.
thanks.

If I understand you right, the offset plane was not placed into the publish geom. If you change features that aren't part of the publish, there's no reason to update the part with the copy geom as nothing inside that copy geom has changed.

sorry, I didn't explain well the problem.
u can process like to reproduce the situation:

1-create an assembly in witch you create a skeleton.
2-On the skeleton, create an offset plane and create a publish geometry choosing the offset plane as reference.
3-On the assembly level, create a new componente and copy geometry from the skeleton public geometry.
4-save the assembly top level, erase memory and close all.
5-open the skeleton and change the offset value, save, erase memory and close.
6-open the part and you will see that the copy geometry doesn't update.

Everything needs to be in session for it to update. Check your message area, you may see a message that external references could not be found and that the previous placement is being used. Open the assembly and you should see a duplicate of the geometry (offset in your case) and the status indicator should have a yellow dot. Regen the assembly and the part should update.

After looking at the retrieve_data_sharing_ref_parts description you have to use an external copy geometry feature instead of the copy geometry feature. You would select Insert>Shared Data>Copy Geometry from other Model. The external features are the ones in the second part of the list. Using these features you can open the part without the others in session and the status will have a yellow dot showing the part needs regeneration and it will update to the new values.

As kdem wrote, with copygeometry the referenced parts must be in session.

It is best practice to avoid using copy geometry entirely and ALWAYS use external copygeometry to reference other parts.

NEVER reference other parts or assemblies directly, e.g. by focussing an edge from another part in your sketch! This is highly unstable and if it loses it's reference, you'll find it extremely hard to find out whoch reference has been lost...

Hope this helps...

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back