Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Copy a Datum Plane from Part to Part?

nofalloff

I have an assembly and need to copy a datum plane from one part to another. Both parts are constrained in the assembly via the default coordinate system constraint. can this be done? I seem to be able to copy sketch curves but not datum planes.

thanks

You can do this in partlevel. (or inan asselmby you can "activate" the part) anyway...In the part you want to copyyour datums TO, use "insert - shared data -copy geomerty" , thenuse the "referenses" section, and you can copy your datumplanes from one part to another.

//Tobias
Edited by: tobbo

This solution won't work if you don't have AAX module. You basically cannot copy datum planes, but you can create datum plane with reference to other part or assembly (this is not desired way since external referencing is often problematic) by activating part in assembly and then creating datum plane by selecting external assembly or part datum plane.

If you ever delete external part or assembly your datum plane will loose references and in best case scenario it will be frozen, also retrieval and regeneration of part or whole assembly will take longer because of external references.

Tobbo,
I had tried that and it didn't work. I booted up this morning and it did. Odd. I thought I had created all the parts in the assembly constrained by the default coordinate system for this very reason..

Skraba, thanks I agree about referencing external geometry like that, it's just asking for regen problems down the road.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back