Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Converting Imported Model Facet Features

jdurston

Hello Gurus,

I have some gun models that I downloaded from a site called "3DCAD Browser". They do not offer Pro/ENGINEER as an outputfile.In cross-referncing whatfile types they output and what Pro/ENGINEERcan import. I have used both STL (Stereo Lithography) and OBJ filetypes as output and imported the files successfully into Pro/ENGINEER.

I can see the models fine and they look great. I can shade and spin them around. However, the features come in as "Facet" files which behave a lot like surfaces (except, Ihave some difficulties locating datum features based on the geometry; so, that I can assemble them into our gun cabinets.)Since these are surface type features, they show up asmessy wireframes in a drawing andI can't do a hidden line removal (because it's not a solid part.) The other problem is that if I scale the model, the datums that I thought I attached, don't travel with the rest of the geometry. I am forced to recreate the datums.

Do you have any recommendationsfor converting / transforming these parts into real solid models?

I should note thatI am on WF4, but only have the basic package, and can't perform operations like "shrinkwrap".

Thanks in advance,

JD

There are several modeling techniques beyond using 'RESTYLE' module for capturing form utilizing standard surface modeling techniques. Basically your remodeling the forms using the facet geometry as an underlay.

Remember its one thing to design a form. its another completely different thing to simply capture form. The latter is usually 1/10th of the overall time budget allotted.

[url]http://www.proetools.com/courses/pro_surface/advanced_import .htm[/url] < this effort uses the base package of Pro/ENGINEER or simply stock surface modeler of Pro/E.

As far as datum features... try this. Create your part in Pro/ENGINEER first then import the facet geometry on top of that. I typically import the facet geometry into an outside package first then delete one half or the other for isometric parts to minimize face count...
Edited by: design-engine

I`ve noticed You can "sculpt" facetten model by making X-sections and use those X-sec to create curves.

This will give You curves to create new one based on them. Independent geometry menu won`t give it to You.

Thanks. That's about the only thing I could find on it too. I've been trying this method to create a network of curves from which I can create surfaces. It's kind of a "fill in" project for me; so, it's taking forever, but it's working. I am learning a lot about surfacing while I am doing this project.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back