Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Controlling assembly cut intersections

EvilSpeeder

I'm working on doing some workholding stuff for a project and I'm desiging the lathe jaws. Basically, I know what I'm starting with and the parts will be cut on the lathe to my specification. What I've done is model the chuck and spindle and all the existing hardware. What I want to be able to do is make an assembly with everything in it (all the uncut jaw pieces) and make the cuts to the jaws in the assembly. Then I want to include the part to be held in the assembly but not have the assembly level cuts intersect that part. Is this possible, or do I have to make a seperate assembly with the part to be held?

I've tried editing the definition and removing the intersections, but it won't let me. I've tried moving the assembly cut around in the model tree, but that doesn't seem to do anything. I'm using wildfire.

Thanks

John

I would suggest that you make your asm cuts to the chuck as an sub asm within your main asm.

Meaning

upper asm

-prt

-chuck asm

--asm cut to jaw

--prt

--prt

this would allow you to keep the cuts in only were they need to be.

chill

One of the options for assembly level features is Intersected Parts. Using the Auto Add option, which parts are affected by the operation is determined by the depth of your cut. With the manual option, you get to pick and choose.

In 2001, double click the Intrsct Parts option in the model dialog box. Haven't tried it in WF, but I assume it's in the Options or References tab on the dashboard.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back