Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Constructing a plane through a point

mikes

Hello all,

I got thisproblem I need to solve: how do you place a plane through a point on a 3D datum curve, at an angle to one of the initial plane reference(RIGHT,TOP, FRONT).

TIA,

Michael

Not sure how I'd go about it (for any given situation) but think I'd start by projecting that point (on the curve) back to a plane, create axis, ...

If you can post a specific example and explanation of desires to start with it might help get something going.

Michael,

I think you would actually need one more reference, in order to orientate the plane.. I'll have a go in a while a post a Pict of what I'm talking about.

James

OK, if I understand you correctly, you have a 3d curve, with a point on it

View attachment 818

now you want to create a plane through that point but at an angle of say 45 degrees to say the Top plane? correct?

but here is the thing..

This plane..

View attachment 819

and this plane

View attachment 820

and this plane

View attachment 821

are ALL at 45 degrees to the top plane and pass through the point on the line, and there is an infinite number of possibilities on top of that..

what I didwas created an axis through the point, normal to one of the existing planes, then created the plane through the axis (hence through the point) and at an angle to the top plane.

does this help?

James

Thanks to all who helped me.

I found another way of creating the normal to a 3D curve, through a point belonging to the curve that can be referenced.

I picked the pint first and then the curve.WF is smart enough to know that I am looking for the Normalto the curve in that point.

James, thank youmuch for your input, it was pretty elaborate.

Cheers,

Michael

whoops! sorry maybe I misunderstood the question.. normal to to a 3D curve and at an angle to one plane are two different things..

Anyway, you got what you wanted!
smiley4.gif

Glad I could kinda help
smiley36.gif

James

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back