Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

config option allow_3D_dimensions

bhayden

I'd like to do 3D dimensions in an isometric view. According to the online help, I did a search for Isometric dimensions:

allow_3D_dimensions

no, yes

Determines if dimensions are shown in isometric views.

I find no other reference to such an option and it doesn't seem to work. Can someone get me pointed back in the right direction?

Bernie Hayden

XKL LLC

OK, I've partially answered my own question. The allow_3D_dimensions is an option in the drawing setup file, not config.pro. However, I'm still not getting the desired behavior.

I'm trying to show the height, width and depth of an assembly in the isometric view. When I do Insert>Dimension>New References... and attempt to pick edges representing the limits of the size envelope the dimensions created are skewed at some strange angle.

-Bernie-

OK, so I've got the default for my view orientation. Strictly speaking I guess this isn't a true isometric but close enough for what I want.

I've set allow_3D_dimensions yes in my drawing setup file. Now, I can do Insert>dimension>New References... and estabosj two points using intersection of edges that define the height of the assembly. However, none of the options, Horizontal, Vertical, Slanted, Parallel or Normal give me the true distance between the points. I seem to get anything but the actual distance between the points.

I tried creating the dimensions in a right side view and then changing the view orientation but ProE just warns you that the created dimensions will be deleted. Thank you for playing :-(

-Bernie-

When you have iso view and allow_3d_dimension is set to YES,then you can only show Assembly or Part dimension through Show/Erase box.You can't insert new dimension.

This is my personal experience.In this forum have people that know much more for Pro/E than me.So if someone know different trick please let dive advice

JV

JV is correct. Go into the model, and add the dimension in a feature sketch. If you cannot find a feature to create the dimension, make a datum curve. Then on the drawing show the dimension in the 3d view.

Sigh, pretty much what I'd determined on my own by playing around with it. You can only display 3D dimensions using the show erase dialoge box. It's impossible to insert new 3D dimensions in an isometric view. Sadly, the same limitation exists in Wildfire.

Do you really want to exit YES!

Bernie Hayden

XKL LLC

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back