Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Component Has Too Many Constraints

G

It's pretty well known that you can over-constrain a component, and I do that where I see that it's appropriate, or to set up test conditions. However, I got the message Component has too many constraints when over-constraining the part. I simply re-arranged the order of the constraints and then it became fully-constrained (yet, still over-constrained, as was my design intent). Does anyone know why I got the message Component has too many constraints?

Apparently it was overconstrained to the point it was impossible to assemble. I have never seen the message before, but an example would be two mated components and two mate constraints, one with an offset distance. I am sure it would blow Pro/E's day. I have never attempted to make it happen :)

Yeah, I thought that, too. But I simply changed the order of constraints and it worked (4 constraints total, 3 inserts, 1 mate). There was nothing weird about the setup. I guess it just couldn't resolve it being over-constrained in that order. Never seen it before and I thought it was interesting. Thanks.

Whay is not enough with 1 mate(or allign) and two inserts?

I think are necesary two ``insert`` to put the component in the corect position.

You can put how manny insert you want like in example,but i bilieve in your case is not possible the constrains being satisfied because some dimension are not exact

1 mate and two inserts is enough to fully-constrain the component. The dimensions are exact. In this case I also want to make an additional insert constraint to another component. The point is that I've never seen the message Component has too many constraints. It is well documented that components can be over-constrained. I've had as much as 6 constraints in just playing around with components.

There are several reasons why you'd want to over-constrain a component:

• To ensure the proper orientation of a component when, even though it's fully constrained, it may decide to flip direction on you.

• To test a other mating constraints so as to force a failure when something changes. For example, placing a pin through multiple holes over multiple parts.

• To force motion on another component in a mechanism assembly.

There may be more to add to this list, but that's a few that I can think of off the top of my head.

This is an interesting topic. Wondering if anyone else overconstrains for a reason? I have never overconstrained components on purpose. Never thought about aligning/inserting to more than one component to force a failure. Always use the orient command to ensure proper assembly when Pro/E assumes orientation.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back