Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

combining two dwg's

hammer up

I have an assy weldment dwg and a part detail dwg. I would like to combine them so that the detail is on sheet 2 or 3 of the assy dwg, without having to do all the detaling all over again. In other words how can I transfer all the existing view and dimensions of one dwg into another dwg???

mekaneck, thanks a bunch. It really helps. I wonder if you can do it with 2 assy dwg's. Wonder if the two BOM's will merge or if each sheet will have its own BOM?!

That's a good question. If you try it, I'd like to know. I would assume that you would get a BOM on each sheet, but they would be identical (assuming the same assembly), so one could be deleted.

I tried it today ..... I got 2 assy's on one dwg, but I ended up with 2 separate BOM's and could not figure out how to merge them ....... anyway, I ended up with a 4 sh. assy dwg with the 1st BOM in the right place but the 2nd assy has its own BOM on sheet 3 .... and the BOM's are NOT identical ........ could not figure out how to merge them .........problem is that I'm under the gun to do something and I don't have the luxury of time to explore ...... any chance you may have time for this??!!

By the way I'm using Wildfire, which I absolutely hate ....PTC really out did themselves in taking a pretty solid and stable version(2001) and turning it into a real pain ...... there isn't an hour that goes by that people at work don't curse them ....... including the managers who are in support roles and in contact with PTC

sorry for the side track

I'm using 2001.

I don't think you can merge two bom's together.

Unless one is a component (sub-assembly) of the other.

This case you can set 'Recursive' on repeat region.

Charles

Here's a quick workaround that'll work if you are only looking to make the drawing look good (and don't need to give the files to a client):

-Delete both BOM's from your drawing

-Make a new assembly that contains the two other assemblies

-Add the new assembly as a model in your drawing (no need to add any views)

-Add the BOM for that assembly

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back