Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Combine multiple part versions in BOM

buckley8

I am trying to combine multiple model versions of the same part (via family table) into one line entry in the BOM. The BOM is being driven off asm.mbr.ptname. If the parameter ptname is the same in all three versions, why aren't they being combined into one item in the BOM? How does a BOM table decide to put items on different/same rows anyway. I.e., what is the rationale being used?

Version 2001

Each row is based on asm.mbr.name automatically by Pro/Program -- you can't designate which column drives report quantities.

If all values in all rows for two line items are identical, they should be combined if the repeat region attribute No Duplicates is used (with the exception of qty and index, of course).

asm.mbr.ptname would be a custom model parameter, so using it in your table should work as long as the values are identical for the parts you wish to combine.

asm.mbr.name however, is the actual filename of the object which would be unique for two different part files. If this column was shown in the table, two different parts would not combine.

-Brian

Hmmpf. So essentially, since different parts always have different filenames, it can't be done? If I have two limit switches for example with the roller arm in a different position on each, they will show up as two different items in the BOM even though they are the same part. According to the jabbadeus explanation, I can't even create my own table with different column headings since the table is always driven off asm.mbr.name. That blows.

Yes, it can be done... The table doesn't have to be driven with asm.mbr.name. There are some good reasons to avoid using asm.mbr.name in a repeat region BOM and this situation is one of them.

Here is how many of the larger Pro/E companies do it:

Create parameters such as 'MYPARTNUMBER' and 'MYDESCRIPTION' and make sure every model has them.

Your drawing BOM table repeat region would contain the following colums:

&rpt.index

&asm.mbr.mypartnumber

&asm.mbr.mydescription

&rpt.qty

Now the filename does not show up in the BOM table. Therefore, multiple models representing the same real-life part will be combined into a single line item.

Now for the downside... In 2001 and WF1.0 (I think), you can't show an automatic BOM balloon for items which have been combined in this way.

-Brian

Wow, you learn something every day. Sorry for the wrong answer.

BTW, flexible components in WF are designed for this exact situation as well. Create the part / assembly, and define which dimensions, features, and parameters are flexible, and insert the component into an assembly as a flexible component and specify the values you want it to have.

Flexible components definitely are overdue in addressing this issue...

but in WF (1.0 at least) you can't create BOM balloons for flexible entities... probably due to the same reason as in 2001 with multiple models. I 'think' they've fixed this in WF2.0, but I have not checked it yet.

-Brian

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back