Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Center Datum Plane

swcalvert

I would like the ability to create a center datum plane between two entities (in this case two parallel faces) without math. Now, I know how to create this datum using either math or figuring out what parameter to divide by two, but this would make it easier to create the plane required.

Steve C

Sometimes I create a point using a length ratio of .5 and make a datum through that point and parallel to another plane.

Would that help?

You could create a curve thru points selecting two vertices of the planes to get the curve for the point.

Mike

Yes, it is incredible. Mike, in UG I can make a datum between two faces by picking the two faces (they, of course, have to be parallel to each other) but is's one step.

Steve C

Strike my last post, SW does not have a midplane option (at least as of 2003).

One advantage of Pro/E over SW are the reference geometry options available - especially with make-datum.

Think I figured out why make-datum has gone in misfire.

When I use make-datum together, with the intent manager, I got the following message:

Sketch plane is not fully defined do you want to sketch anyway or words to that effect.

Guess it's easier to get rid of than to fix...

Thats too easy:)

But it requires two parallel planes first. My models dont always have this.

Mike

Make-Datum in Wildfire is still there, it's just not called make-datum.

In Wildfire, if you wish to create a dof you just pick on the datum icon at the same point in the feature creation that you would if you were selecting make-datum. Form here create the dof then select the play button on the lower right to resume the creation of the feature.

When the feature is complete the dof is grouped up into the feature and put away so it's not seen... the dof is no longer inbedded in the feature.

I think the mid-plane idea is a great one. I submitted an enhancement request several years ago on it, but all they've added is the mid-point constraint in skectcher.

I use it all the time in UG. I think it would only enhance the Pro interface. It's one of things that SHOULD be there, but isn't.

Steve C

If I really needed a mid plane and it had significance to the design intent, I would probably make it BEFORE the geometry and then use it to mirror either in sketcher or completed features. I prefer to have my geometry reference datums rather than the other way around.

Since everyone is just rambling on here, I've got some good suggestions for you to create your plane without math.

Draw a datum curve. The curve need only be a straight line between 2 points. The mid point of this curve is the point where you want the plane to pass thru. Then create a datum point at the mid point of the curve (like miked said, props). Finally create the plane thru the point, normal to which ever surface you need.

I know you said you don't like to use the math option, but here is another way, using math. Create a reference dimension. (setup, ref. dim.) Create this dim. between the two planes you are wanting to put the plane between. Then create your plane offset from 1 of the 2 planes used to make the ref. dim. Then, write a simple relation. d1=rd1/2, where d1 is the dim. symbol of the datum plane, & rd1 is the dim. symbol of the ref. dim.

>> ...here is another way, using math.

>> ...

>> ...write a simple relation. d1=rd1/2...

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back