Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Cannot revolve full 360

oliwally

Every now and then, when creating a solid using the revolve tool (WF3 Schools Edition) I am unable to revolve the full 360 degrees. It will accept 359 or even 359.5 degrees, but not 360. This happens particularly when revolving a semi-circle to make/remove a sphere. Is there a setting I am missing somewhere to rectify this problem? Is there a logical reason as to why this happens? Would love some help with this problem please.

close your sketch ie, dont just draw a half circle, draw a half circle with a line connecting the 2 endpoints.

Hi csusie - thanks for helping out.

Yes, I'm closing my sketch (sorry - forgot to mention that) so that it forms a neat loop.

The revolve works, most of the time a full 360. But every now and then, especially when including it in an already fairly complex part, using the same method, it refuses and will only work with a value less than 360. Us a value less than 360 and the shape is created, although with a minute gap of 0.5 or so degrees - very annoying.

Edited by: oliwally

also, you can only have your sketch on 1 side of the axis of revolution if you are going 360. Maybe that is causing the problem.

Hmmm...no that's not the problem either - I definitely have the sketch and axis correct - just sometimes doesn't want to play. Any other suggestions?

Could this be related topart accuracy or tolerance since the feature is created on a complex part? I hadsimilarproblems with rounds. On one edge I had a round of .6 and on the other side of the part, when rounding the corresponding edge, I had to create a round of .59. Although the pockets were created the same way and were nominally the same size ProE had a problem with the complex geometry. Just wondering if a similar thing is happening here.

kd2007 - thanks for helping out.

Yes, I guess it could have something to do with part accuracy (although I don't exactly know what that is or refers to). Is there a way to adjust the part accuracy to make the error go away?

Hi, oliwally, use Edit-->Setup-->Accuracy and change the accuracy to be lower or higher from the default one.

Good luck

Something else to try if geometry is causing the failure is try to insert the sphere feature before the feature(s) that are causing the failure.

<BLOCKQUOTE dir=ltr style="MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">

Something else to try if geometry is causing the failure is try to insert the sphere feature before the feature(s) that are causing the failure. </BLOCKQUOTE></BLOCKQUOTE>
I don't seem to have a spere feature available to me. Perhaps because I'm working on the Educational Version of ProE?? Where would I find this function if it were available?
</BLOCKQUOTE>

No, you're not missing the feature. Try placing the revolved semi-circle which creates a sphere before the feature(s) that are causing the failure if possible.

In the past, I've saved off the sketch and recreated the feature off a different plane. Sometimes when new geometry starts/stops ona tangent line of some other feature it causes failures.

Thanks kdem and audctrl - I'll try that next time I have the problem. Very much appreciate your help on this
smiley17.gif

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back