Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Can you replace a part in a drawing with an assembly

bhayden

I have a drawing of a sheetmetal part. I've added some PEM fasteners to the part which means that it is now an Assembly. Is there a way that I can replace the .prt file as the model in the existing views with the .asm file of the original part plus the new fasteners? I have the Foundation II package which does not include the ability to create interchange assemblies.

Bernie Hayden

XKL LLC

You can't replace existing views of *.prt model with *.asm. The models of the views you can replace only with their instances. The solution of your problem is to leave the drawing as it is, add the *.asm model (View

I've contemplated only using *.asm's for drawings for this very reason. ie putting a single part in an assembly.

>I've contemplated only using *.asm's for drawings for >this very reason. ie putting a single part in an assembly.

Yep, I try to do this when ever there is a possibility that I'll want to add a component. Doesn't seem like it would be much of a stretch for PTC to incorporate this into the software. Perhaps they do if you add on additional modules? Sure would be a more productive enhancement than forcing an embedded browser on the user!

Bernie Hayden

XKL LLC

Going from a part to an assembly or from an assembly to a part occurs often. I hate when that happens, which basically means adding new views and showing the dimensions all over again for something simple like adding a logo or fasteners to a part thus making an assembly. Dimensioned assembly drawings do have their setbacks such as showing dimensions per feature in an assembly drawing than a part drawing. I too would put this high on my wish list for PTC.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back