Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Can’t pattern an extrude on an ellipse

Willmsy

I am trying to pattern an extrude cut on an ellipse and have the orientation of the part follow the ellipse (example would be the point of a triangle always pointing to the origin). Is this possible in wildfire 2.0?

Thank you,

Matt

Thank you for your help, it looks like I can't do it in WF2 without adding a bunch of headache.. thanks again guys and gals.

Matt

It is totally doable in WF2 and most earlier versions and quite easy as long as you use a point on curve reference for your sketched cut section.

When you sketch your section create a reference datum for your Right or Left facing Datum. Make the datum as Through Point & Normal to the ellipse curve. Then for your sketch references use only the Point and created datum. As long as these are your only references your feature will have no problems being patterned by distance or relative distance of the reference point on curve.

View attachment 4234

This picture was taken on WF3 note that the ref datum for the feature is internally grouped. However I also made a model on WF2 with the same result.

Michael

Michael,

Thank you for letting me know it can be done and your description. I am still having problems with it...

When you said "sketch your section" are you refering to the extrude cut? And I can create a reference datum for my right or left facing datum....

Now according to your description.. "Make the datum as through point & normal to the ellipse curve" are you refering to a datum point?

Next, what type of pattern are you using? Is it a Fill Pattern?

Thank you,

Matt

Glad you got it, I was just going to post a more detailed example.

Did you use your original sketch as the reference for your point on curve used to create the Reference Datum? On the ellipse like circles in pro/E it divides the solid edge of the protrusion into two half arcs. Which would give issues during the pattern so the sketch is the best thing to use as a reference.

View attachment 4254

If you placed cuts on your model as I've shown in the following model and don't have a sketch driving the final geometry you can create a curve from the Geometry using a Geometry selected face loop.

View attachment 4255

Use this type of curve as your pattern point reference. To create this type of curve Use the geometry selection chain and do a copy curve of the feature face edge.

Michael

Edited by: mjcole_ptc

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back