Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

C.O.G. and Distance - Updated 7/9/08 pm

tosh382

My boss came over to me today and wants me to open up a specific assembly that had many sub-assemblies and parts.

He wants me to get the 'z distance from the coordinate system of the top level assembly to theCenter ofGravityof all the sub-assemblies and all of the parts.

Does anyone know how to do this quickly?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Edited by: tosh382

I have put the COG coordinate systems and points (Analysis)in every one of the 200+ assemblies and parts per the URL above.

Now I need to getthe distance from the top level assembly Global Coordinate System (GCS) to each of the lower level assemblies and parts COG coordinate systems (Analysis1).

It needs to be theperpendicular measurement and not the hypotenuse measurement as some of the calculated COG's are not on the same axis as theGCS.

Aboveis a quickie example.

I need to grab the distance (zdist)from each of the parts/asms Analysis1 (COG) perpendicular to a plane running thru the GCS and parallel to the face of the first part. (See example image below.)

The GCS is in the Top Level Assembly only. Each part & assembly has the Analysis1 feature, which includes the Coordinate System and the point at COG.

I want to add this zdist column in the tree so I can see the zdist value next to each of the parts and assemblies. (Currently I have the "Mass" column only next to the tree.)

The dimensions in the below image represents the zdist values needed from all assemblies and parts.

As you can see above, those are the values I need to calculate from the GCS to the Analysis1/COG (coordinate systemor thepoint in analysis1)of each part & assembly and I will add/display the value next to the tree as a parameter/column so I can see them next to each part& assembly in the tree.

I have only tried this in WF3 so it may be diferent depending on the version you are using. Create an analysis feature that measures distance. In WF3 choose Analysis>Measure>Distance. Under the Definition tab choose the assembly COG as the From reference, the part COG as the To reference, and the assembly COG as the Projection Direction reference. Under the Feature tab select the distances you want to create and then add them to the model tree.

There must be a way to automate this process?

Where I select the GCS in the top level assembly and have it drill down thru the tree list and have it auto-create the COG/coordinate systemfor each part and assembly and have it output the cartisan coordinates to an Excelfile, along with the assemblyor part name, along with the mass & density values, where it would have the indenture that looks like the tree list?

You can perform an analysis of the Assembly Mass Properties which will give the Mass Properties and distances from the Assembly COG to individual part COG's which you can save to a file. However, it doesn't look like you can extract the component information to put in the model tree.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back