Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

buckling analysis

Israr

I want to do the buckling analysis of the attached assembly. The flap is hinged at one edge on the longitudinal side of the flap and is to be lifted by two jacks at extreme ends on the opposite side of the hinge.

Please help.

View attachment 116

Israr

I tried to run the analysis both in Pro/Mechanica and ANSYS DesignSpace but the solution does not converge.

Israr

Very frustrating, nobody replying my posting.

This time I have attached the actual file.

So please please please reply and help me.

Israr

Israr -

I'm not sure I understand your problem. If it is hinged on one side, then when you apply a force (by the jacks) then you will get rigid body motion. Since buckling depends on extracting eigenvectors, your model will have a mode at zero hertz (rigid body motion). What force or constraint resists the rotation of the flap? If you are trying to fix your model by balancing forces, be careful. Numerical round-off almost certainly assures the forces won't be balanced. This is one problem.

Secondly, you have interference between some parts in your assembly. I'm sure this causes problems with meshing. Try merging your assembly into a part file. Mechanica does this anyway with touching constraints. The only caveat would be if you need different material properties for the different parts.

Why are there shell idealizations in the model? I would use beam elements. If you try doing this with solid elements, good luck.

I will try to build a beam model, but in regards to your 'frustration' to the lack of response; this is not PTC customer support. Maybe they could help out with some more training classes. We help each other out in our spare time.

Thank you very much Bem,

I delighted to see someone reply to my posting. My friend I know beam idealization is the best solution. But what I have is the book on pro/Mechanica by Roger Toogood which is too basic and I have heard beam idealization of curved beams is not simple.

Please help me in this connection.

Thank you very much again.

Israr

Bem,

My actual problem is I have to check whether the flap will flex more than the allowable amount of sag in its longitudinal direction or not while its supported by jacks on one side.

Israr

I have solved the problem myself. Thanks to Bem who gave me hint and I followed his instructions.

If anybody is interested to see the solution, write to me.

Israr

smiley32.gif
hi isar can u plz send me the solution

hi isar . can u plz help me to find the life of the newly developed equipment. the equipment is used to lift the concrete pipes of 7.2 tonns load. my company has requested to perform the life cycle calculation.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back