Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Breaking references and regen-ing...

drvogler

Hey all,

Long time user, very comfortable on the wire (or as we in the biz know it, cannot regenerate feature/component placemnt, insert mode, etc...)...

I inherited an assembly that is completely screwed up with circular refs, embedded family tables, and parent child relationships. To make the story even better, I don't have permissions to fix (store) many of the parts in Intralink, because I work in an extremely large company, and much of this is political, created overseas, different business unit, yada, yada...

The assembly I'm working on is tied to this disaster I have no control over, in many strange and mysterious ways (again because I inherited it...), so that every time I Regen, it spins a bunch of parts/assys I want nothing to do with, but need to keep in the model, so I can make pretty pictures, measure things, etc (yes they are surpressed unless I need them).

This (we've all done the Intralink dance), means I have to go into my workspace and update as stored a bunch of junk I could care less about, every time I want to submit a new version of my model...

Does anybody know an easy (we're talking about thousands of parts here) way to break references and start the regen process from where I'd like in the assembly mess?

It's easy enough to do and accept frozen status, but I'd like to fix the placement and accept a few days heartache just to get a clean regen and have no references beyond my own assemblies/subassemblies... i.e. The things I have free reign over...

Any ideas? If I go through the model tree and set individual refernece states for every component, can I somehow _force_ a regen that won't allow frozen placements?

Any ideas appreciated,...

Have you tried attempting to add another feature, but instead of adding a feature, re-routing references while you're in sketcher mode?

The config.pro option

freeze_failed_assy_comp no

Requires an action to fix the assembly or freeze the component.

a value of yes freezes anything that fails...

However, if parts are already frozen, I don't know if this will help you...

proed> Cool idea, but doesn't work on previously frozen components...

I'm afraid this is gonna be one big, long redefine exercise...

Thanks guys...

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back