Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Bottle Volume Optimization

Yeah I agree. Better to stick to mm and do the conversion.

So Trawets, does Puppet's tutorial enable you to solve yourproblem?

Notice the trick of calculating the volume before and after shelling it out. You only have to do it once. From then on it's all scale conversion. Can you post your bottle and let us see how complicated it is?

Yes thanks very much to you all for the very detailed explanations, The tutorial was excellent and my problem is now well solved .

I have posted to a few forums trying to find help on various subjects and I must say this is one of the most helpful I have ever visited

So Guy's Thanks again
smiley20.gif
smiley32.gif

I have not yet designed my final bottle, but will post by the end of the week, my thoughts were just to try and get my procedure correct first before i spent time on the design

But thats now done thanks to you guys

So now its time to have some fun making a crazy bottle
Edited by: trawets

<?:namespace prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" />View attachment 805</V:STROKE></V:F></V:F></V:F></V:F></V:F></V:F></V:F></V:F></V:F></V:F></V:F></V:F></V:ULAS></V:pATH><?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><O:LOCK aspectratio="t" v:ext="edit"></O:LOCK></V:SHAPE> </V:STROKE></V:F></V:F></V:F></V:F></V:F></V:F></V:F></V:F></V:F></V:F></V:F></V:F></V:ULAS></V:pATH><O:LOCK aspectratio="t" v:ext="edit"></O:LOCK></V:SHAPE>

Hi

Well I don

the only real catch is when entering the formula for the scaling you
have to make sure that ur entering the formula in the feature.. not in
the part.

what did u need mechanica to do for you?

suppress ur features and send me the bottle. and i will have a look 4 u

the spiral looks good ? equation driven ? or just a varied pitch helical sweep?

Edited by: puppet

Another way to create a bottle to a specific value is to create the volume fisrt (General shape that you've got for your bottle) then shell this part (volume). Enter a negative value for the shell feature value. this will create geometry to the outside of the volume surface. (Nice work around if you don't have bmx). Bmx is still the best way of creating a bottle.

Marius

I'm not sure why I couldn't get the scaling feature to work, I suspect it is more of a user error than tutorial problem. I thought i had done as was directed but now you mentionscale from feature not from part maybe I should try this again.<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

As for the design the spiral was created by a tapered body and hole which is patterned then a warp of 360 to create the spiral effect.

"the spiral looks good ? equation driven ? or just a varied pitch helical sweep"

Both these options are above me suppose I could get the variable pitch helical sweep with a bit of trying( its only the variable pitch I don

yeah its a feature.. not the normal

edit->scale

but rather

i missed this option afew times.

edit --->setup--->shrinkage

the shrinkage feature can only be added if you've got the mold design module. Ask someone that has this module to add this feature to you part. once it's in your part you can go and change it. Even if you don't have the mold design module.

DEAR PUPPET,

i am very much intrested in knowing abt BMX.i came through this bottle volume optimization.it is looking very intresting,can u please send me the some stuff about volume optimization.

wat r the concepts i should be torough to get grip in this BMX

my mail id is [email protected]

regards

leenus

hmm i wrote a small tutorial for it in this thread just look at
previous pages. If you have any specific problems or concerns let me
know.

Hi everyone, sorry to bring up a really old post, but reading this was really helpful for me (even figuring out how to use winrar to open the tutorial posted by puppet...)

So the method described by all of the above posters is well and good if what you have is a solid that you shelled out to make a bottle. But what if you have a complex inner diameter, madeby revolve without using a shell at all? Then the method of creating an analysis feature before and after the shell goes out the window. Can anyone think of another way to calculate the volume inside such a part?

I hope someone can help, either way you guys are great, just reading this post brightened up my day ;)

that would be easy as well. What you can do is take any part/bottle that you have. Assemble this part into a new assembly.

create an empty part in the assemby. Activate the part, copy/paste the
inside surfaces into your part. create a horizontal surface.(level off
fluid in bottle.) merge these two surfaces and solidify the new part.

You will now have a part that represents the internal volume of you
bottle. If you make changes to your bottle, regenerate the assembly and
the volume will update.

Hi mstols, thanks for that advice. I have been trying to put it into practice; I did Insert -> Shared Data -> Copy Geometry, and then defined the inner surfaces that I wanted to copy. Actually my"bottle" is made of multiple parts already, so I copied the inner geometry from each separately and then merged them together using Edit -> Merge.

I created an assembly feature (a surface extrusion as you said)to cap the bottle, and then merged this with the previously copied geometry. So far, so good. However, when I select the final merge and choose Edit -> Solidify, all I get are error messages.

I am wondering if my problem has to do with the fact that I did not paste all of these copied surfaces into a new part, but instead just have them in the assembly? I am trying to figure out how to do that in the Help right now.

thanks again for your help, any more comments, I would love to hear them ;)

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back