Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

BOM Repeat Region - Manipulating Table

Beth

I am trying to generate a table illustrating two assemblies side-by-side using the same parts list. i.e. one configuration of the assembly using part A with fasteners, but a different configuration uses part B with all the same fasteners.

My approach so far: I assembled the two assemblies into a top level reference assembly. I then made the table recursive and filtered out both their top levels. Using relations, I'm assigning the report values to parameters, and then reporting those parameters to the table. I have successfully accomplished this (my table is displaying all of the columns I desire), but in my code I am lacking the Pro/E identifier to how it recognizes one "asm.mbr.generic.name" is different from another "asm.mbr.generic.name" to ensure the quantity totals are correct. Can anyone help me??

Here's a quick graphic trying to show what I mean:
1 0 Part A
0 1 Part B
4 4 Bolt
8 8 Washer
4 4 Nut
-001 -003 Part Number
QTY QTY
REQ'D REQ'D

Edited by: Beth

Create your table so that you have 2 QTY REQ'D columns. Note: both columns must have the (rpt.qty) report identifier in them.They should thenboth fill out with the quantity of your first assembly. Then while in the drawing, go to Table/Repeat Region, in the menu manager select "Column Model Rep" Select one of the two columns and it will prompt you to select an assembly to be represented inthat column. Regenrate the table and it should adjust and fill out both columns correctly. Not sure how your table was created, but I ave found this to work rather well except when using "bulk items" in your assembly. If you have not heard the term "bulk item" than you have no worries.

Good Luck!

Beth,

I should have read "all" of your post. The way that I have described in my first post does not require you to use the top level ref assembly. My bad-sorry. The way I described, you only need to start your drawing with one assembly, the read in the second by adding the assembly to the drawing. If you are not familiar with that, it is simply File/Properties, then in the menu manager click Drawing Models. (A simple right click in a blank area of the drawing will get you to the properties dialog as well.)

Hope this helps.

You are a godsend! Thanks so much!! (Much easier than what I was doing!)

However, I do find Pro/E crashed when I try to change the table type to "No duplicates" versus "no dup/level" - any idea how to work around that? I'm going to try using a ref assembly again and apply the lack of duplicates to that table, then add two qty columns for each assembly as well.

Thanks again!

Hi Beth

I think this is the type of table you are trying to do. Thishas 2 repeat region set up. One for the bom section and thetopsection to get the family table description andvariation. Sorting the item numbers are the hardest thing to do, but we export the table as .csv file and sort in excel to get the index number. We then fix index to get order we want...

2009-06-11_065142_large_bom.zip

Jeff

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back