Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Blank using simplified rep

Kurt

I had a buddy that would blank components from a cross section view using another simplified rep view as a "filter". He did this to allow the BOM to remain accurate while creating annotation space in the cross section. Because the assembly was so large, it wasn't practical to individually select all the components as it would take way too long. He is gone now and I don't see how it is done. As I recall, the simplified rep cross section had to be in on the drawing sheet to be referenced while the desired cross section view components were being blanked.

Does anybody know how to do this? I've asked at the PTC user group forum but didn't get the answer.

You can select your view and right mouse button properties and then pick view states and pick a simplified

rep for that view. I'm not sure if this is what you are going after.

Yes, but that will affect the BOM. The idea is to have the simplified view without the BOM being affected. The solution was given to my buddy by someone out in a help forum...somewhere.

The only other thing I can think of is from the top drop down in the drawing....View...Drawing Display.....Component Display....pick Blank and blank parts you don't want to show.

That is the first approach, but since the process takes forever to blank individually, the simplified rep "filter" is much faster. Thanks for your input. I'll continue to look for that solution.

Place the assembly into the drawing as the Master Rep. Add the BOM table with appropriatly defined repeat region. This will represent the BOM of the master rep.

Change the View display to show the desired simplified rep. BOM table will retain the BOM of the Master Rep.

To change the table to represent the simplified rep: Go to Table; Repeat Region...; Model/Rep to change the model or rep that is represented by the table.

One thing to note is that the Advanced assembly functionality is required. I'm not sure what it's called these days but it is most likely included with most of the design packages.

You can also do this with Layers. Create a layer and place all the components you do not want to display on it. You can then hide the layer in the view and all the components on it are hidden. Seems like the easiest solution to me.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back