Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Basic Missing Reference Question - New user

Nick Brenn

Hi MCAD Central,

I am a new user to ProE / PTC Creo 3.0, and I am trying to replace a part, with a part that I downloaded from the web.

I am trying to replace a resistor (which is currently being represented as a 3d rectangle) with the actual resistor 3D model.

Here is what I did:
-> I downloaded the resistor part.
-> I swapped the original .prt file with the .prt file that I just downloaded.
-> I regenerated the model.

And then I received the following error:
missing_reference.JPG

The reference info is as follows:
reference_info.JPG

I am a very, very fresh user of Creo and I know that this is a basic problem. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Regards

If I read this correctly, you renamed the downloaded file to the original file name. What happened is that the references you had on the original file (datums, surfaces, etc...) are not there anymore. You need to go into the assembly, highlight the new part, right click and pick redefine definition. This will allow you to repick the references for the new part under the Placement tab.

it sounds like all you did was rename the new file with the old file's name and then hope for the best.

Creo needs to know how the new part fits with the assembly. every single plane, axis, surface, edge, corner, and any other piece of a model in Creo has a unique internal ID. when you assemble parts, you assemble a plane from one part into an assembly using planes, axes, edges, points, and the like. the assembly uses the individual part feature IDs.

when you renamed the new resister, the existing assembly knew to use the newly renamed part but it has no clue how to physically place it in the assembly. you need to edit the definition of the new part and reassemble it to the assembly.

rather than simply rename the part, you can pick the old part in your assembly and then select the replace component option. then you can select the new part and it will immediately bring you to the define references dialogs so you can pick the new references on your new part you want to use for assembly.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back