Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Automatic UNITS setup when importing?

marker4x4

I wonder how to set ProE to automatically assign IPS (Inch/Pound/Second) units when bringing in geometry via IGES, STEP, CATIA, etc.
I have template_ecadpart set to inlbs_part_ecad.prt, but somehow it doesn't work... every time I bring in metric part, it stays metric unless I change the UNITS via Edit-Setup.
BTW, it's WF3.

Thanks for any sugestions

Put this in your config.pro.

! Use default templates when opening a translator part

intf_in_use_template_models yes

looslib said:
Put this in your config.pro.

intf_in_use_template_models yes

Ah yes, thank you.
But that leads me to another question:

- the parts I'm bringing in are modeled in aircraft coordinates - far away from the space zero. When bringing them in without template, this is what I'm getting:

View attachment 3619

- with template, I get this:

View attachment 3620

The problem is that the three planes above defaulting from the space zero, and as such my model disapeares from the screen as ProE zooms out to cover the entire space model. The workaround would be to delete the planes (by hotkey maybe), but perhaps there's an easier way....
BTW, my template model doesn't have planes:

View attachment 3621

Thanks in advance,

marker4x4,

in your first part, made without a template, if you make datum planes using the coordinate system (on x,y,and z )you should get planes in the same locations as the template file puts them, so they are not so different. If you turn off your spin center you can avoid some of the zooming, but those plane locations are based on the built in coordinate system.

welcome to top down modeling...

you are a brave one to have a template model with no planes, is that so they are not cluttering up your screen in an assembly? makes 2d a bit more difficult since you need to make views? How come you have planes in your template example yet you said your template does not have planes?

cheers,

M

Edited by: magneplanar

Hi M,

well, in this particular situation (working with imports) I'm not particularly concerned aboutfollowing rules(CSYS-->PLANES-->Happy_Modeling)

Thosemodels come mainly from our customers and are being used inexlusively for manufacturing or being assembled into our own (native ProE)Assys.

As such, I don't need any planes whatsoever, since we either generate NC code tomachine the part or - as mentioned - we assemble it to something else.

So, just to reiterate - my goal is tobe able to import models inStandard Units and without any datums whatsoever. I've achieved the first part of it(thanks to looslib), but thatcame with kind of side effect, being the datum planes that I need to get rid of. I guess, I need to poke around some more. Thanks for any input.

magneplanar said:
marker4x4,

in your first part, made without a template, if you make datum planes using the coordinate system (on x,y,and z )you should get planes in the same locations as the template file puts them, so they are not so different. If you turn off your spin center you can avoid some of the zooming, but those plane locations are based on the built in coordinate system.

welcome to top down modeling...

you are a brave one to have a template model with no planes, is that so they are not cluttering up your screen in an assembly? makes 2d a bit more difficult since you need to make views? How come you have planes in your template example yet you said your template does not have planes?

cheers,

M

marker4x4,

the parts themselves, as import data, have the units encoded within. If you want to convert to your preferred units, that is different than the import is set to, I suggest you only do that manually. You need to be sure that nothing is changed without your knowledge.

in that case you should allow pro-e to translate as described above and convert to make sure the change is acceptable. Opening the part directly will give you a part with no datums unless you set the config option.

Have you considered making your own template that has no datums preset? not sure if it works, but in your config you can define a default "template_solidpart X.prt" In cases where you make a new part you can uncheck default and choose a different new part template.

not sure if this is where the default part for imported parts comes from...check later.

cheers,

M

Edited by: magneplanar

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back