Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Automatic save option

Automatic saving is not an option in Pro/E since every save
creates a new file, while leaving the original file intact.
If you had auto save and accidentally left the machine on
for an extended time you would fill the hard drive.

I suggest making a macro linked to one of your function keys. After every few actions in Pro/e or just every few minutes, just tap the key and you're done. Trust me when I say that it will become virtually automatic really quickly.

I have a mapkey that both saves and deletes old versions too, helps with the filling up the hard drive problem.

the big problem is just the philosophy of how Pro-E saves things.

the act of saving a copy each and every time a user hits save may seem like a good idea. and maybe it was back when Pro-E was first developed on Unix machines. but now, it just seems silly to do this.

as the good Doctor suggested, make a mapkey that saves and purges at the same time and you effectively create an autosave while also removing any of the alleged benefit of having a backup copy created. I was instructed by a PTC trainer to create this very mapkey back when I first took training on Pro-E in 1997. so a PTC trained trainer is telling me to override the "safety" feature built into Pro-E? silly.

now, with windchill, I have the ability to go back to previous revisions more easily anyway so the local copies for me are useless anyway.

mapkey $F11 @MAPKEY_NAMESaves and purges the active\\nobject;\
mapkey(continued) @MAPKEY_LABELSAVE AND PURGE;~ Select `main_dlg_cur` `MenuBar1`1 `File`;\
mapkey(continued) ~ Close `main_dlg_cur` `MenuBar1`;~ Activate `main_dlg_cur` `File.psh_save`;\
mapkey(continued) ~ Activate `file_saveas` `Current Dir`;~ Activate `file_saveas` `OK`;\
mapkey(continued) ~ Select `main_dlg_cur` `MenuBar1`1 `File`;\
mapkey(continued) ~ Select `main_dlg_cur` `File.cb_file_delete`;\
mapkey(continued) ~ Close `main_dlg_cur` `MenuBar1`;\
mapkey(continued) ~ Close `main_dlg_cur` `File.cb_file_delete`;\
mapkey(continued) ~ Activate `main_dlg_cur` `psh_purge`;;

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back