Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Associating .pts file to the drawing table.

salil

Hi all,

How to link a .pts file to the drw table so that any change in the point data (co ordinate values of points created by datum point option in Proe) can be automatically reflected in the respective Pipe drawing table?

Here I'm working on the Piping in proe with the options available in the Foundation 2 & not in PRO/PIPING module .

Regards,

Salil.

Talk about a blast from the past.

The way we solved this was to use a Pro/REPORT with filters so that we would report PARAMETERS that contained the X,Y,Z location values. The bummer was that we needed a separate parameter linked to each dimension to get it to work properly.

The Drawing Table was nothing more than a standard report pulling User Defined Parameter names with a Filter.

It worked perfectly - but we needed a separate program to feed the information into Pro/E and make the changes.

This same application could be written in p-Shell (a Scriptable Interface to Pro/TOOLKIT) in only like 20 lines of code.

But unless you have Pro/TOOLKIT or the parameters pre-defined and are just reading in the values from a text file, you will have to do each location by hand to get it right.

Maybe someone else has some better ideas/methods?

Dave

p-Shell is located at our e-commerce site:

http://www.buydesignautomation.com

There is just general information there about its capabilities. We will be releasing the Ultimate Pro/E Demo within the next couple of days. Then you will see just how deep the rabbit hole goes. :)

But - in general p-Shell has a tad bit more than 50% of Pro/TOOLKIT capabilities built into it. It is a Pro/TOOLKIT application with highly optimized functions for manipulating the Pro/E Kernel (i.e. takes care of a lot of baggage for you automatically). Most of the stuff you commonly would need to do can be accomlished very quickly, including the GUI, in less than a hundered lines of code (but idiot proofing takes more as you might expect).

A parameter editor, written in like 25 lines of code, is on our site. It is not 100% - but more like 90% of what would be needed, you can read through the demo to see how it works and was created. It should be farily obvious to medium level programmers. Here is the link to the sample apps that we will be showing to customers:

http://www.buydesignautomation.com/sampleApps/default.htm

I will put an example up on how to do this point filtering example in a couple of hours.

Dave

OK - This subject was worthy of a full demonstration of how to do this in p-Shell. :)

One thing you must ask your self: Am I trying to just read points into a table, or a model that then updates a table?

I thought the later was more interesting for disucssion, so the example below covers not only how to read in data points and get them to display on a drawing table, but also how to update a PIPE FEATURE by modifying the Datum Point Array that it is attached to. So this is more than quite interesting once you see how it works.

So the answer to how this all could be accomplished using p-Shell (and therefore Pro/TOOLKIT), is located at the following link - yes with images:

http://www.buydesignautomation.com/sampleApps/default.htm

Please let me know if this shed some light on the topic in general for both drawing table automation and model automation for reading in datapoints.

Dave

P.S. -- It tool LONGER to write this up than to actually get the program running properly within Pro/E. Total Development time, including GUI, was less than a couple of hours - and was accomplished interactively with Pro/E running the whole time. Something to consider for your hard core Pro/TOOLKIT and J-Link people... :)

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back