Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Assembly Controled References

Dear all,

When ever i download a part ( such as a bolt ) from the PTC Server, and i want to use it in an assembly, it uses fixed datums for referencing and you cant change them. My question is, how can i make such a thing for a model from my creation. i want to make fixed datum in the part to be assembled. and if i am faced with such part, can i remove this and change the datums for example? please advice.

Thanks

Can you explain what you mean by fixed datums? It sounds like you're talking about an interface definition?

i dont know what its called. when ever i want to put the bolt in my assembly, it do not promt me to select datums from the bolt, they are all ready assigned and you just select datums from your part.

The bolt has what is called a component interface.Using WF5 you add a component interface to a part from Insert>Model Datum>Component Interface and you select the references you want to use for placement. The bolt for instance uses the shaft and the head surface for placement. When you select those appropriate constraints are chosen Insert and Mate. You can change them or delete them later. When you add the part to an assembly it will initially assemble using the component interface. There is an iconon the placement dashboard theat is selected and if you place your mouse over the icon you can get a description. There is an icon beside it that if selected will place the component manually which means you have to specify both the part and assembly references. Depending on the version of ProE/Creo Elements Pro/Creo you are using the menu selections and dialogs you see will be different.

Thank you very much kdem. you've been very helpful. i checked and its also available on WF4. and i checked the icon also. really thanks alot.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back