Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Assembling Components, Follow Line

ryanblaq

Recently my company upgraded to Wildfire 4.0. Thre is an assembly feature that is universally disliked by the ~15 users in my company, and that is the red "follow" line that ties your mouse cursor to the part you are inserting into an assembly.

We would like to know if anyone knows if there is a way to turn this feature off (possibly a config.pro option). So far we have not been successful at locating such an option.

We are finding it to be a memory slowdown on some of our slower machines. I run3.5 GB RAM with a dual core 2.40 GHz processor and I am noticing slow down when assembling parts into a large assembly that was not present in Wildfire 3.0.

Thank you

Can you post an image of what you are talking about? Have you tried using a component placement window instead of the component dropping right into the assy. A config option controls that functionality.

Look up the following config setting and it's possible options

comp_assemble_start

I can't seem to make a screen shot small enough to meet the 50KB limit that is legible. Using a component placement window does remove the red "follow" line, however this is not always desirable either.

I checked out the options on "comp_assemble_start" and it didn't seem to be controlled by that configuration

Seriously doubt this is a hardware or driver issue as it is common to all our engineers and we don't all have the same machine. Most are better than mine (RAM and CPU speaking). I also know this is a feature found in Solidworks.

Reading my first post, I am not sure I am describing it throroughly enough. Say I want to insert a new component into an assy and for example I choose "mate" as my first constraint. As soon as I pick a surface on the part or the assy, I get a dashed red line from whatever surfaceI picked to my mouse cursor. It follows my mouse around the screen and as I pass over the assy (or part if I picked a surface on the assy) it highlights potential surfaces to constrain to. This is something that didn't exist in Wildfire 3.0 as far as I am aware.

I will try your config.pro file Megaladon to see if it removes it. I could then at least compare config commands to see if I can pin down the appropriate config line

I just tried that in WF4 & I get the red dashed line too. It doesn't seem to slow down my machine but I used a fairly small assembly. I could not find a config.pro setting to get rid of it.

ryanblaq said:
Reading my first post, I am not sure I am describing it throroughly enough. Say I want to insert a new component into an assy and for example I choose "mate" as my first constraint. As soon as I pick a surface on the part or the assy, I get a dashed red line from whatever surfaceI picked to my mouse cursor. It follows my mouse around the screen and as I pass over the assy (or part if I picked a surface on the assy) it highlights potential surfaces to constrain to. This is something that didn't exist in Wildfire 3.0 as far as I am aware.

that also sounds like the preselect filter is on.

if you go to edit select/preferences and uncheck it that may solve your problem.

Turning off prehighlight solves the problem of seeing the red line but you won't see the refence selections when defining constraints. Here is a pic of the red line that shows when selecting assembly references.

2009-04-30_110929_red_line.zip

kdem said:
Turning off prehighlight solves the problem of seeing the red line but you won't see the refence selections when defining constraints. Here is a pic of the red line that shows when selecting assembly references.

2009-04-30_110929_red_line.zip

Yep, same happens to me. The pre highlight was a useful feature of Wildfire 3.0.

And of course I didn't even think of zipping my screen shot...der!!
smiley11.gif

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back