Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Architectural Modeling

samfisher

Hello

I saw a thread on MCAD, posted around 2002, in which someone has modeled complete hotels in Pro/E. I want to learn how to model a house in Pro/E. Can someone help?

Dear Samfisher
you can build whatever models you wish using Pro/E or Creo, depends on your ability to use commands and render techniques. In my view, I would like to say that rendering techniques and abilities are very important for such models and architecture. For instance, I modeled an ASRS (Automated Storage and Automated Retrieval) system using very simple commands and tools.
View attachment 5728
Hope that helps

Thank you Faisalmk.

I'm basically a student of mechanical engineering and I have no background in architecture. I'm interested in designing my home. Please let me know a starting point for this process.

I'm an intermediate user of Pro/E.

Dear samfisher
In order to model your house, you need first to break this system into smaller components, such as windows, doors, walls, etc. modeling these components will not be difficult specially if you have good imagination. After that the assembly phase starts, the assembly will not be easy for beginner but of course you can do it.

Best Regards,
Faisal

Now I'm starting to get the picture. It is basically nothing else but assembly modeling in Pro/E. I was too naive to think of some special features in Pro/E reserved for architectural modeling.

This is quite an extensive job, the more detail I go for the more time it demands.

I modeled a stick built garage. Started with the basic lumber sizes, built walls, ceilings, roofs, etc. The floor was easy because it was a poured slab, only one part. In the end I knew exactly how much lumber, concrete, etc. to buy. I didn't include the nails

Start with an assembly skeleton for the floor plan, wall profile , etc.

Dear Samfischer,

As the faisalmk said, it is important to divide the structure into components, and thereafter can be taken list of materials such as concrete volume, the quantity of bricks, paint, etc. ..<BR closure_uid_c52bch="8195">As an example of this, the figure below shows the discipline of civil, of an industrial complex project, done in ProEngineer, and the entire list of materials, including excavation of the land and also many of the drawings were removed from this design, we have highlighted the base of the furnacedone inProengineer and the same base after construction,<BR closure_uid_c52bch="8196">Despite being a little more complex that you ask, this demonstrates the capabilities that the software provides,

Kind Regards,

Alfeu Campos Jr.

View attachment 5732

design-engine said:
Pro/DECK is next ;)
Hey Bart good one but don't you mean CreO/Deck? Maybe PTC deck unless they get bought out their company name shouldn't change,

Note to forum admins hitting quote shouldn't delete the original post luckily I did a pre-button copy. Next time I'll just type it in.

Alfeu Campos, Impressive pictures & welcome to the forum

But yeah I hear ya Pro/E will always be Pro/E and lil-sister SolidWorks
Amateur E. Although SolidWorks Weldments is a Way easier and cheaper
Program for doing architectural Beams and Frames for Houses and probably
easier to learn than Expert Framework. But like AutoCAD SolidWorks
license I believe is limited to one year unlike Pro/E which the WF2
version I got ~10 years back still runs.

I guess it all depends on the Package of Pro/E you have. Pro/E does have
a way better assembly and reference pattern engine than SolidWorks. But
Alibre Design can do Patterns in 3 directions without using groups like
in Pro/E.

AlibreDesign_3dir_asm-pattern_ui.PNG

Michael

Edited by: mjcole_ptc

I think it depends on how much development/marketing money is spent and split between development and marketing. perception is everything.

If the building you are going to design is rectilinear
there are other programs out there that might be easier to
use.

Acceli-Arch has macros for most of the components of a
building such as roof,walls,doors and windows.
http://www.autodsys.com/archt/info/index.html

On the other hand, few architectural programs could handle
buildings such as the Guggenheim-Bilboa designed by Frank
Gehry. The software program he used was Catia.
http://www.guggenheim.org/bilbao

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back