Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

another bom question

housta

I apologize if this topic has been beat to death, but after looking through the old posts I am still confused on this issue. I have an assembly in the concept stage and I want to create a bom, preferrably in excel, and at this point the only parameter I want other than part name is the mass in cubic inches of each part and or subassembly. I need to be able to share the weights with my team in a useable way.

To make a long story short, how can I create a bom that shows the part weights, then what is the best way to create a readable bom that I can send to non-cad personnel?

Thanks in advance, and once again, sorry for beating on a dead horse!

Al
Edited by: housta

you can creat an analysis feature to calc volume at required point on the model treeor use defaulf volume, mass propparam value in a param. in the model tree of the assy you can set the column desplay to show up mass prop i, e volume and export this to excel.

or try in intralink if you use it.

It might sound long winded, but it is easy to do the following:

create with notepad a file called say bomformat.fmt
containing the following syntax:

.breakdown<br style="color: rgb(0, 0, 255);">%$type %$name contains items<br style="color: rgb(0, 0, 255);">.titles Part Number;*Mass;*Qty<br style="color: rgb(0, 0, 255);">-------------------------------------------------------<br style="color: rgb(0, 0, 255);">.row %$name[-20.20s]; *%mass[-5.2f]; *%$quantity[-3d]<br style="color: rgb(0, 0, 255);">-------------------------------------------------------

Create a line in your config.pro bom_format <path>\bomformat.fmt

where the path is the location on your computer, on mine it would be
bom_format C:\formats\bomformat.fmt

Make sure all of your parts have a parameter called 'mass' defined by the relation mass=mp_mass("")

This should work for mass of parts. The the 5.2f refers to real numbers (floating point), the 20.20s refers to number of spaces for string value, if you want to display an integer value then use say [-3d] which allows 3 spaces, you can change to suit. Preceding with - causes the columns to left justify. The system supplied attributes (name, quantity) are preceded with %$, mass is a user defined parameter and only preceded by %.

The reason for inserting asterisks is for importing into excel. Pick 'info', then pick 'Bill of Materials', then pick 'both' so you can see if the bom layout on the screen is what you want.

A file will be saved with the extension .bom.1
Open excel then go open files, all types, find the relevant fie then you will see the text import wizard, click 'delimited' then next, click 'other' and place an asterisk in the box. Then go 'next' and 'finish'. The asterisk causes each column to separate.

The data will then be on excel, save the file as a .xls and the job is done.

The task of getting a useable excel sheet from this method takes less than 1 minute.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back