Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Amount of detail present in sections used in part modeling

Why 10 ??

Does this include points, centrelines and construction circles ??

What's wrong with 20 ??

Have you tried 10 or 20 or 30 ??

I have experience with large cylinder blocks and heads, sheetmetal, and simple extrusions.

My experience has been this:

Make sure the model is easy to understand for the next person who has to modify it and completely robust for all down stream activities.

I have experience with all these items too - and more complicated parts.

So what are your recommendations for an easy to understand model and robustness ??

I prefer to keep my feature count under ten in sketch. * cant remember where ten came from.

I find it easier to modify and more robust.

Its nice to look in the model tree and see everything labeled when you need to change something.

I rename key features and add notes as a reference.

I guess it would depend on the geometry and or the operator as to the quality of the sketch, I have spent the worst days of my life sorting through the models of people who throw draft, rads etc into their sketches.

It probably works out better for the next guy if you are consistent in your approach, then you know what to look for.

Mike

I usually keep the sketches simple mainly because the drawing tools available in sketcher are so lame. In fact, if there's anything that's remotely complex I'll sketch it in Cadkey and then import a .DWG file to sketcher.

Sometimes it's necessary to include items like a bolt hole pattern around a cut in the sketch because of Pro/E's bizare rules for patterns and groups. I find understanding and modifing easier if features are separte items in the model tree; provided they are named and grouped logically.

Bernie Hayden

XKL LLC

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back