Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Affordable Pro/E 2000i^2 or 2001

Tunalover

Can anyone point be to a source and affordable source for Pro/E 2000i^2 or 2001? I'm looking for something for <$1,000 for my home machine (NOT the student or educational version).

Thanks!

Hi Ya,

there is a free cad program on PTCs website called Prodesktop express ... It is not as advanced & powerful as pro _E but it certainly well worth trying out ...

there is a more powerfull version called pro desktop which allows you to render & use PTC technical support ...this costs about $995 US

I have used prodesktop express & can import & export proE assemblys using pro ATB file format

hope this helps

tom Smyth

Tom-

My problem is that I have a design including dozens of PRT and ASM files generated with the 2000i^2 commercial version. I somehow need to generate drawings at home so that I can build the thing.

I have Pro/E 2000i^2 Student Version but it will accept only neutral files or native Student Version files (not PRT or ASM files from the commercial version).

You said I have used prodesktop express & can import & export proE assemblys using pro ATB file format.

Can ProDesktop read in 2000i^2 PRT and ASM files so that the assemblies and parts are kept intact? If so, can you export ATB files from ProDesktop?

Lastly, can the ATB files be read in by the 2000i^2 Student Edition so that the assemblies and parts are kept intact?

This, by the way, is not a profit item for me or anyone else; it's a play fort that I designed for my three young sons.

Thanks,

Bruce

I use the free download of Pro/Desktop Express. It CAN read Pro/Engineer parts and assemblies, but they come in as single imported items, rather than as full parametric parts and assemblies. As far as I can tell, they come in dimensionally clean and accurate, but they can't be edited using the Pro/Engineer dimensions and parameters. You can however use them as the basis for further parametric modelling inside Pro/Desktop.

It also has te ability to do automatic generation of 2D drawings, similar to Pro/E. You may have to do more manual dimensioning on imported parts, however, since the parts seem to come across minus the Pro/E parameters.

You can also build models in Pro/Desktop and export them to Pro/Engineer. I think the same restrictions may apply.

There is no harm in trying, because it is free (apart from the download time and costs.)

Hope this helps.

More Info - Please find following the section from the Pro/Desktop Help file on importing from Pro/E.

Hope this helps.

Transferring Data from Pro/ENGINEER

Pro/ENGINEER files can be transferred directly into Pro/DESKTOP by either opening or importing the Pro/ENGINEER files in Pro/DESKTOP. There are three options for transferring Pro/ENGINEER files into Pro/DESKTOP:

Open the Pro/ENGINEER *.prt, *.pdt, *.g, or *.asm file in Pro/DESKTOP.

Import the Pro/ENGINEER file into Pro/DESKTOP from the Pro/DESKTOP File menu.

Import the Pro/ENGINEER file into Pro/DESKTOP from a Pro/INTRALINK workspace.

When the Pro/ENGINEER part is brought into Pro/DESKTOP, it is represented as one solid feature. The existing edges and faces of the solid are separately recognized by Pro/DESKTOP, but detail features such as holes or chamfers are not treated as separate features.

When you add features to your Pro/ENGINEER file in Pro/DESKTOP, the new features are treated as normal Pro/DESKTOP features. The three Pro/DESKTOP default workplanes (base, frontal and lateral) are also created.

Accepting Pro/ENGINEER File Changes in Pro/DESKTOP

After using Pro/ENGINEER to make changes to the part file, save the changes. The next time you open that part file in Pro/DESKTOP, the file changes are recognized and Pro/DESKTOP issues a message, warning you that the original Pro/ENGINEER part file has changed. To integrate the changes, click Yes and then update the design in Pro/DESKTOP.

Note:

If you are using Pro/ENGINEER and Pro/DESKTOP simultaneously, you do not have to close and reopen the Pro/ENGINEER part file in Pro/DESKTOP. The warning message will appear after you move from Pro/ENGINEER to Pro/DESKTOP.

After the Pro/DESKTOP file is updated, it may happen that a previously-existing Pro/DESKTOP feature cannot be regenerated. A common cause is deletion of a Pro/ENGINEER object referenced by the Pro/DESKTOP feature.

To open *.prt, *.pdt, and *.g Pro/ENGINEER files in Pro/DESKTOP:

Pro/ENGINEER *.prt, *.pdt, and *.g parts can be opened in Pro/DESKTOP using three different methods:

Drag and drop the file from Windows Explorer into the Pro/DESKTOP application window.

Drag and Drop the file from File Explorer into the Pro/DESKTOP application window.

The File > Open command:

Click File > Open. The Open dialog box opens.

Select Pro/ENGINEER (*.prt, *.asm, *.pdt, *.g) from the Files of Type list.

Browse to the desired file.

Click Open. The Pro/ENGINEER file opens.

To open *.asm Pro/ENGINEER files in Pro/DESKTOP:

Pro/ENGINEER *.asm files can be opened in Pro/DESKTOP using two different methods:

Drag and Drop the file from File Explorer into the Pro/DESKTOP application window.

The File > Open command:

Click File > Open. The Open dialog box opens.

Select Pro/ENGINEER (*.prt, *.asm, *.pdt, *.g) from the Files of Type list.

Browse to the desired file. Note: All assembly component files must be stored in the same location as the assembly file.

Click Open. The Pro/ENGINEER assembly opens.

To import *.prt, *.pdt, and *.g Pro/ENGINEER files into Pro/DESKTOP:

Pro/ENGINEER *.prt, *.pdt, and *.g parts can be imported into Pro/DESKTOP using two different methods. Each method imports the part with the Pro/ENGINEER blue background:

Drag and drop a file from Windows Explorer into the Pro/DESKTOP application window.

The File > Import command:

Create a new Pro/DESKTOP design file.

Click File> Import> Pro/ENGINEER Part File. The Import Pro/ENGINEER dialog box opens.

Enter a name for the imported feature in the Feature Name text box.

Browse to the desired file.

If you want to import individual solids in the Pro/ENGINEER part as components in your Pro/DESKTOP file, click Make Components.

Click Open. The Pro/ENGINEER part imports and opens.

To import *.asm Pro/ENGINEER files into Pro/DESKTOP:

You can import an assembly as a single feature using the Pro/ENGINEER Shrinkwrap option. You must set the Shrinkwrap to the Solid option.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back