Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

maintenance vs non-maintenance

akonrad

Hello,

This is Poland here, so it's far away from PTC. We have 5 licenses without maintenance, bought from 2 different VARs. M090, M100 and M150. Now we upgraded the hardware to 2core AMD processors, and installed Windows 64bit. Proe can't install. A telephone call to the VAR: "Can we get the versions, that we purchased, but in x64 installer option?" Answer: "We don't have them here, and PTC won't give us. Sorry". And I can't even say he's lying, because I believe him.

Is it that hard to get anything from a VAR in US when you didn't buy a maintenance option? Does PTC really ignore non-maintenance customers?

Konrad

If you don't have maintenance you don't get service.

Our maintenance was up for a month (my boss put in late) the day after our maintenance was up I called to see if I could get an answer on a problem and my SCN number wouldn't work.

Moroso,

This is not problem of getting service. When we purchased the Proe, we were told that we can get any platform/system option, that is supported. We asked for win32 and Linux versions and we got them. We did not ask for all those exotic versions and now I start to regret it. They don't want to send us what we wave paid for!

Konrad

Hi

Our place hasn't paid maintenance for app 6 yrs
smiley5.gif
...( against our concerns )They didnt think the maintenance cost where worth it. Nowwe're gonna have fun when we upgrade our hardware !! Although we saved in the short term, to upgrade is going to cost us nearly

Tazbaby,

I don't need an upgrade. All I want is a different platform option. You
buy a license, not those CDs. We have, say M100 purchased and we use
it. But they don't want to send us M100 x64 version. If I would asked
for it half a year ago when it was bought, I would receive it without
any problem. This is the way you can sell bolts or nuts, but not
software!

Konrad

Hi

What you are asking for is a software update ?? So that your version of Pro will run on x64. To recieve updates you will need to be on maintenance.

No, it's not an update. I could have had it half a year ago. I didn't
want to be burdensome. I didn't need it and I wasn't planning to need
it, so I didn't request it. But if I would have request it, they would
have to get it to me without any cost. Now they don't want to send it
to me. This is not the way you gain customers. Now what I am going to
do is to download it from some illegal p2p network and use it LEGALLY,
because I have a license to use it.

Advice to new proe buyers: If you don't buy maintenance, request ALL
possible platform options, even if you don't need it. You pay for it,
they have to send it to you at no cost. Otherwise you will be
pussyfootted.

Konrad

To get 64bit software will require an upgrade as it is ONLY available in Wildfire2 M160 and higher builds.

You bought WF2 and were shipped the build that was supported at that time. With no maintenenace, that is the only set of CD's you will get.

Normally in US, support is contracted through PTC, not VAR's. Have you tried contacting PTC directly? I think they might ship you 64 bit version for nominal shipping & handling fee but I wouldn't count on it. Why did you buy hardware your software doesn't support?

looslib,

Are you sure that first x64 version was M160? Not lower?

Maybe we do need switching to maintenance...

Konrad

dr_gallup

Actually I wasn't aware, that there is different version for x86 and
x64. I can always instal winXP (32bit) and run proe x86 (would be a
shame). From what I've heard it doesn't run faster in 64bit anyway.

Shipping directly from PTC? I didn't try (time difference), but I can try.

Konrad

x64 was available at M120 if not sooner. The CD's are no longer available but it can be downloaded from the web.

I think the M120 x64 version is a beta and will only run for 6 months after install but you don't need a license file to run it at all! At M160 x64 became production release and requires new FLEXnet Publisher 10.8 but it will work with your existing license. You should try to get M160 or higher. It should be totally legal as long as your license file lets it run.

Nice, now I became a software pirate. After a long and a hard way of moving out of piracy at the company I work for :)
Congratulations Brian!

Konrad

OK, I know.

Let me explain what I wanted to say (and was censored), but more politely.
Buying proe with or without maintenance is not clear. Was not clear at the time of purchasing. VAR didn't explain all the minor differences. Now I can see that sometimes it leads to strange conclusions: I can use something, but I can not get it (at least legally).
I began to feel that something is going wrong when they closed Knowledge Base for non-maintenance users. I wonder what comes next. I hope one day we will not regret that we paid for something...

Konrad

akonrad,

I can understand your situation.. We are stuck using 2001, and yes.. my boss is starting to regret not paying maintenance.. ( though they where warned this would happen )

I work for a large Japanese company... and when Japan HQ says upgrade, we must upgrade. To do this we now have to pay more than 6 years back maintenance or scrap our current seats of pro and buy all new licenses.. Either way it is an awful lot of money.

My suggestion is to get onto maintenance before the back pay becomes too much. That or cut your losses.

Taz

Tazbaby,

This is not only the thing of upgrading, because we have decided that we are not going to need to upgrade in a near future. We were aware that we will have to pay for back maintenance (even without any benefit of this "maintenance"!) to get a higher M... number to use. My rancor to PTC is because of their policy to sell you something and later showing you that you were stupid to do so.

Konrad

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back