Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

5-Axis Surf Mill Tilt Angle Problem

sohail abbas

Hi Friends

2006-06-21_084757_Five-Axis.zip

look at the Surface Milling 2,3 and Swarf Mill which is at number 4 in the model tree.

1) When i added the tilt angle 90 to surface milling (# strategies in the model tree) the tool cut the conrners.

2) OnSurface Milling-3 there are two many reracts i wantjust one entry and one exitof the tool.

3) InSwarf Mill the tool is coming from the opposite direction one can seesimulting the tool.

any help in this regard will highly be appreciated.

1) Use axis def instead of tilt angle. Let Pro do the work for you. Tilt angle is realy so you can overide surface normals that pro computes.

2) The surface you were trying to machine (helical type) needs to be trimmed and extended so Pro project the tool onto the surface without interference with the check surfaces. I created a mill surface and used that. A better way to mill that surface is using 3 axis with an alternate surface for tool path projection. Pro will output the correct multax orientation to position the table.

3) I added a NC sequence csys to position the table (Pro ignores the x and y of the nc sys and only orients z) and it milled just file.

One thing I would suggest is that you dont need to use 5 axis milling any where on this part. It can all be done with a 5 axis operation but using 3 axis milling. Complex surface are best suited to 5 axis milling. Swarf milling really needs a complex surface to be effective. You could have used traj or profiling in place of the swarf milling.

If you are just tring to learn a few new things then you are of to a good start.

There are many different ways to machine the part you attached - I only spent about 10 min on it so it's not perfect.

Also - your attachment could have been about 1.2 megs smaller if you don't zip any of your vericut files or the .tph files.

Regards,

sdjohnon

2006-06-21_140934_test.zip

sohail abbas said:
Hi Friends

2006-06-21_084757_Five-Axis.zip

look at the Surface Milling 2,3 and Swarf Mill which is at number 4 in the model tree.

1) When i added the tilt angle 90 to surface milling (# strategies in the model tree) the tool cut the conrners.

2) OnSurface Milling-3 there are two many reracts i wantjust one entry and one exitof the tool.

3) InSwarf Mill the tool is coming from the opposite direction one can seesimulting the tool.

any help in this regard will highly be appreciated.
Edited by: sdjohnson

hi Johnson

I know that this part can be machined by a number of ways,

1) by positioning the job and applying the simple 3-axis stretegies

2) 3+1 or 3+2 Axis strategies depending upon the avialiability of the machine.

finally this is not a part for learning purposes, this is of on our customer requirments that he want to machine this part by 5-axis strategies, since he has A and B axis in the head.

and he wants to keep the coordinates system as i did.

NOW COMING BACK TO YOUR ATTACHED FILE

A) i have seen your part, you made the tilt angle zero, and control the tool by axis definition, but still the tool is cutting the reference part whyI still don't know?

B) You have applied the extend and trimmed capabilities but by doing this there is no effect on the part.

number of retracts are reduce but you can see the tool is not cutting upto the required surface, secondly i object on this why to use extend surface, all other softwares don't required such irritation.

if you have a expereiece on Hyper Mill you need to simply select the surface and rest of the things will automatically be controlled by software.

Again i am not agrred with you on swarf mill strategies, you have defiend the swarf

mill by 3+1 Axis machining, but i want 5-axis tool path.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back