Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

4th Axis Machining of cylinder/bottle

ben

Hello

I'm trying to create toolpaths for surface machining of a cylinder/bottle on a 3+1 Machining Centre.

We would like the tool to stay on the job and to move in positive X movements, then small A movement, then negative X, small A movement, positive X, small A movements and so on (note A axis is the 4th rotary axis)

I have had some success so far by creating a 4 Axis Surface Mill with the 'CUT DEFINITION' controlled by 'SURFACE ISOLINES'. See image below:

<div style="text-align: center;">View attachment 4339

<div style="text-align: left;">The tool moves in the correct direction (ie X then A then X etc) however ProE sees the surface as 4 individual surfaces (rather than 1 surface). This means that the tool machines 1 of the 4 surfs, retracts, job spins in A then tool machines surface 2 of 4, then 3 of 4, then 4 of 4. As mentioned above, i ideally require the tool to be on the surface constantly and move from end to end of the job.

Ok. So next up I try a 4 axis surface mill with everything as before except the CUT DEFINITION defined by 'CUT LINES' (with the 2 x circular edges of the surface defined as my cut lines:
View attachment 4340

</div></div>With the CUT TYPE modified to HELIX, ProE creates a helical toolpath on the job revolving around the X axis which is fantastic but not exactly what i require.

I would be very grateful if you have any ideas how to keep the tool on the job and move in X+ and X- as example 1. Please find attached man files

Thanks in advance for any help/pointers

Ben

2007-10-25_053557_cylinder_man.mfg.zip

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back