Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

4ax cut gouging the part

marker4x4

Hi all thy ProE masters
smiley1.gif

here's another of my problems:

I'm trying to machine the "weavy" wall inside ot the part (first pic)
and no matter what I do, I can't prevent the cutter from gouging the
part (second pic). Selecting check surfaces and/or the entire part as a
gouge check makes no difference. I'm completely stumped on this one. My
wrist hurts from all the parameter clicking. The sequence is
Trajectory; tried Driving Surfs, 2Contours, etc. Anyone, please !!!!

gouge02.jpg

gouge01.jpg

It appears to me that that surface will never be 4th axis machined it is not true cylinders so you may be able to rough out most of it then come back and surface it with end mill

mace said:
It appears to me that that surface will never be 4th
axis machined it is not true cylinders so you may be able to rough out
most of it then come back and surface it with end mill

Well, my original question was "...how to avoid gouging the part" -
never mind following the actual shape of the part. BTW, this wall is a
ruled surface, so it should be 4-ax machinable.

Thanks

Select that surface as a check surface then if proe can it will not gouge the part.

I would use traj. machining then use two contour option to do such a surface .

I see you have tried that but Im sure if it is ruled surf. I can get for you!

If you can post the mfg file and I can do for you then send back to you !

mace
Edited by: mace

mace said:
<>Select that surface as a check surface then if proe can it will not gouge the part. I would use traj. machining then use two contour option to do such a surface .....

mace,

I've tried all that - see my orig. posting. ProE just ignores my check surface!!

</>

I know you tried all thatwe ask you to post the file so that we may help you !

I have 5 Years of experience inmultiaxis of very complex parts I believe if you post your fileI can download it and see what you got going on an fix it in under 5 minutes .

But I can not help you and give back to the communtiy unless you post the file or email it to me [email protected]
Edited by: mace

marker4x4 said:
Well, my original question was "...how to avoid gouging the part" - never mind following the actual shape of the part. BTW, this wall is a ruled surface, so it should be 4-ax machinable.

Thanks

If the shape of the part does not conform to the picked seq. you try to program it with than it does matter weather or not pro e can not gouge it or not

Try to use 4x_lead_range_opt. Setting this parameter to YES can help you to avoid gouging part.

Who could explain me in few words what is ruled surface?

It's hard to tell from the picture, but it appears that at the point of gouge the vertical wall is less than 90 deg. from the floor. I'm thinking that the system is trying to keep the face of the end mill on the floor, and it can't help but gouge. Again, hard to tell from the picture, but if the above condition is true, you won't be able to machine this part completely with a plain end mill.

I guess I am not getting this, because the part looks to me like a simple 3 axis part that could be cut with a mill window or volume that would not gouge the part. I believe in the KISS principle (keep it simple stumpy)

sim man said:
It's hard to tell from the picture, but it appears that
at the point of gouge the vertical wall is less than 90 deg. from the
floor. I'm thinking that the system is trying to keep the face of the
end mill on the floor, and it can't help but gouge. Again, hard to tell
from the picture, but if the above condition is true, you won't be able
to machine this part completely with a plain end mill.

The start and end points of the wall are 90deg and the middle is 60deg
(30deg off of vertical). So the A values change like this: A0.0
-->.....-->A30.0--> ... -->A0.0

The cutter is gouging the part ONLY in the areas where it starts to tilt and then when it comes back to 90deg at the end.

ToolDude said:
I guess I am not getting this, because the part looks
to me like a simple 3 axis part that could be cut with a mill window or
volume that would not gouge the part. I believe in the KISS principle
(keep it simple stumpy)

Well, ahem, Tooldude - it is a 4x part and I can't help it. It is indeed simple part and that's why it drives me nuts.

smiley2.gif
smiley2.gif
smiley2.gif
smiley2.gif
smiley2.gif
smiley2.gif

I agree With 4X4 it can be cut using 4th axis faster than any other method .

Marker4x4,

Have you tried a creating a mill surface and also try to suppress the chamfer sometimes they can screw it all up!

Also try using axis defintion then you control where cutter is to start to tilt and etc ...

mace

mace said:
I agree With 4X4 it can be cut using 4th axis faster than any other method .

Marker4x4,

Have you tried a creating a mill surface and also try to suppress the chamfer sometimes they can screw it all up!

Also try using axis defintion then you control where cutter is to start to tilt and etc ...

mace

Mace,

believe me, I've tried everything. I spent way too much time on this silly little part already!

smiley17.gif
smiley17.gif
smiley17.gif
smiley17.gif

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back